+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you ever go back to belt drive?

I'm Andrew.

Default Can you ever go back to belt drive?

Okay, long story short

I had an SL1200G and an own an LP12, very decent spek.

I sold the SL1200G for financial reasons and kept the Linn. Trouble is, even though I have a Lingo 3 on the Linn, I'm missing the rock steady pitch of direct drive. Other people reckon I'm imagining but I still think I hear w&f from the Linn. It's only 3 years old and I've tried another new (£50) belt but no difference. The strobe says it's fine and am sure it is but the SL IMO was better.

I also think that with off centre pressing the SL1200G coped better??

I'm now trying to sell my LP12 and buy another Technics but the only thing that worries me is the few reports of warped platters?

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Steve.

At the end of the day Andrew it's your enjoyment of the music that matters. So regardless of what the strobe tells you, or any other measuring device, if the Technics sounds right to you, then it IS right.

My current deck (a heavily reworked Technics SL1210) replaces my old LP12, and is going nowhere any time soon, in fact it will see me out It just feels right to me.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm John.

After a few things that have happened over the past few weeks, that I have been involved in, using a extremely clean mains signal, supplied from a dedicated off board power supply on Idler Drive and then Belt Drive TT's, there is a large step forward to be had in the overall presentation and improved SQ.
    If you can get access for such a device to trial, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    After a few things that have happened over the past few weeks, that I have been involved in, using a extremely clean mains signal, supplied from a dedicated off board power supply on Idler Drive and then Belt Drive TT's, there is a large step forward to be had in the overall presentation and improved SQ.
    If you can get access for such a device to trial, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
    Which did you prefer? I often hear about how good the Garrards are for example when fully serviced compared to many belt drive decks.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Josie.

The Inspire TT's have always interested me TBH... They get great reviews too.

The only belt drive I really liked was a Michell Gyro SE.

My Thorens TD124 is a belt driven idler so best of both worlds?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Pavel.

To be honest, I have never heard a truly high-end belt drive turntable (such as a VPI or a Brinkmann) but the ones I've heard (Thorens TD-125, Linn LP12, Rega P6 etc) left me completely cold. When I'm listening to a belt drive turntable, I think I hear something about the sound that I don't like. I think it's some kind of temporal aliasing.

From the mechanical point of view, if you connect a heavy platter to a motor with a compliant rubber band, the resulting system acts as an oscillator, and if you add a spring-suspended subchassis to the equation, things get even more interesting. The rubber band being stretched and pulled by the motor and the platter creates a measurable amount of torque that rotates the subchassis and excites the suspension, this should result in pretty severe real world wow... Please take note that adjusting the suspension does nothing to eliminate this wow, it only shifts its frequency!

I'm Steve.

I don't know how quickly the platter gets up to speed on my DD turntable, but it looks pretty instant, and the platter weighs an absolute ton. Power coming 'directly' from a high-torque motor I suppose, and that's as technical as I can get
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm alan.

No, since experiencing Direct Drive I shall never return to Belt Drive or Idler Drive either.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I don't know how quickly the platter gets up to speed on my DD turntable, but it looks pretty instant, and the platter weighs an absolute ton. Power coming 'directly' from a high-torque motor I suppose, and that's as technical as I can get
    It will be stabilised within <1.0 second.

Quote Originally Posted by thingfish View Post
    No, since experiencing Direct Drive I shall never return to Belt Drive or Idler Drive either.
    Back in the day had a very high spec LP12 which got sold. Now I have a massively modded 1210. I also own a Garrard 301/401 and I think they are excellent decks. The idler's do things the 1210 can't and vice versa with the 1210 and idlers.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

I've used all types and have no preference.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast