+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you ever go back to belt drive?

I'm Neil.

I have a heavily modded Technics1200 and a first rate arm on it, suits the deck well, but my AMG Giro destroys it, and its belt drive. In terms of money, both are close regarding the cost of what went into the Technics + the Triplanar arm.

Speed stability is first rate. As I have two set ups, keeping the Technics isn't an issue, so its never been a case of having to move it on.

A Linn not set up like Linn do it is a lovely music maker.
    Regards Neil

I'm Robin.

Currently I have a belt drive, and looking to change but the decision will be based on the sound produced by the turntable not wither it’s a belt drive or direct drive. For me it’s all about the music, the equipment is a means to an end.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Wayne.

Massive case of 'it depends'. I've heard and owned good and bad examples of both. Also personal taste comes into things too - my wife preferred the sound of a belt driven Acoustic Solid to a DD Techie SP10, and although I could see the attraction I preferred the Technics most of the time.

Currently have what I hope will be my end game TT in the shape of a Bergmann Sindre which is belt drive on top of an air bearing. It seems to have ended any argument for me about belt or DD.

I'm Adam.

As above, 'it depends' is the key here. Most of the Beobloke turtnable collection is direct or idler drive, but I never feel short-changed or that I'm listening to second best when I use my Gyro SE.

The thing I'm finding difficult to 'downgrade' from is a turntable that can correct for off-centre records!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm alan.

Like drinking a fine holy (The finest) wine ........Buckfast

As opposed to a fine Malt.

No contest the Malt wins.

Unless your a tru Celtic Supporter I suppose......Then a Kiss through the pope's jockstrap should suffice.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I think what we have to focus on here, is not the age-old debate of belt-drive vs. D/D, and which 'sounds best', as there exist excellent examples of both, but the fact that Andrew can hear the speed/pitch instability of a belt-driven turntable, no matter otherwise how wonderful it sounds (or indeed ANY belt-drive turntable, in comparison with the greater speed/pitch accuracy of a quality direct drive.

*That* is specifically the issue that needs addressed - not necessarily anything relating to the overall sound of any particular belt-driven turntable, of which I'd agree there are examples of such that can sonically outperform the Technics.

And I'd maintain that Andrew would hear *that effect* (one of wow and flutter, pitch instability, etc) with ANY belt-driven turntable, no matter how otherwise great it sounded, in comparison with any well-designed direct-drive, as it is an inherent weakness in the design of belt-drive. From experience, I can pretty much identify the effect blind, as I fundamentally know what to listen for.

Therefore, given that the effect in question is annoying to his ears, IMO, there is little point in him pursuing the purchase of another belt-drive turntable, only to be confronted yet again (to a greater or lesser extent) by the same problem, and in turn for him to waste more money without addressing the real issue.

*That* is my point, and something I think he should carefully consider before deciding on his next move

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm alan.

And yet thoughts on the Hun beating the Tims this season.....,

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've used all types and have no preference.
    I much preferred belt drive, though to be fair the only direct drive I've owned was a low-end Sony.

I'm Grant.

my jbl is dd and it still works very well at aged 40. still original too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I think what we have to focus on here, is not the age-old debate of belt-drive vs. D/D, and which 'sounds best', as there exist excellent examples of both, but the fact that Andrew can hear the speed/pitch instability of a belt-driven turntable, no matter otherwise how wonderful it sounds (or indeed ANY belt-drive turntable, in comparison with the greater speed/pitch accuracy of a quality direct drive.

*That* is specifically the issue that needs addressed - not necessarily anything relating to the overall sound of any particular belt-driven turntable, of which I'd agree there are examples of such that can sonically outperform the Technics.

And I'd maintain that Andrew would hear *that effect* (one of wow and flutter, pitch instability, etc) with ANY belt-driven turntable, no matter how otherwise great it sounded, in comparison with any well-designed direct-drive, as it is an inherent weakness in the design of belt-drive. From experience, I can pretty much identify the effect blind, as I fundamentally know what to listen for.

Therefore, given that the effect in question is annoying to his ears, IMO, there is little point in him pursuing the purchase of another belt-drive turntable, only to be confronted yet again (to a greater or lesser extent) by the same problem, and in turn for him to waste more money without addressing the real issue.

*That* is my point, and something I think he should carefully consider before deciding on his next move

Marco.
    I'd add a cautionary note here - I have some classical piano recordings where you can clearly hear speed instability, even on a new Technics deck that is measurably (I have measured it) as precise as any deck can be, because that instability is on the analogue master tape, or the cutting lathe, or both. So, attributing pitch instability in an arbitrary fashion to any particular drive system is being a tad simplistic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast