+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are we the most stupid mofo's on the planet

I'm Richard.

Thanks for all the responses folks.
    When we buy 2nd hand, of course we have to accept that further costs may be involved. What I find bewildering is 'Hifi enthusiasts' acceptance of really expensive kit failing.
    My original post mentioned a midi system that has never gone wrong. Average sound but obviously stable. I cannot say that about loads of components that cost a shit load more. Amps that keep blowing valves, capacitors failing, CD players that fuck up reading discs or their mechanisms just don't function properly. The longevity of a lot (not all) is a fucking disgrace considering the money that was paid.
    I've got a shitty old kettle that's asked to boil water probably 20-30 times a day. It still does the job as well as ever after prob 20 years. No repair whatsoever.
    I think it cost about £20.

I'm Martin.

My kettle is 20 and still going. The microwave I've had 30 years and still works and I got that second hand.

I've got a Harmon Kardon 930 receiver that is almost as old as me, that's still going. Although maybe it was repaired before I bought it, I don't know. Someone upgraded the speaker connections so maybe.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Is it just a case if things becoming more complicated, in an attempt to improve things which were fine to start with? Like they do with cars - some things are too clver for their own good.

I've had a hammer for over 20 years, cost a fiver, and never fails to knock a nail in. I do sometimes hit my thumb though, so maybe I should look at upgrading to one with "lane assist".
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

A hammer with built in laser targeting pointer maybe?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    A hammer with built in laser targeting pointer maybe?
    And lane guidance.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Steve.

The laser probably wouldn't survive more than a few strikes, although that wouldn't stop the manufacturers making them. Or some idiot buying one. How about a hammer and gloves 'kit', with magnets fitted (opposing polarities) so that the hammer cannot strike the glove. That might work. Or one with a built in metal detector, so it will only hit something made of steel. With an override switch for workmen with prosthetic hands.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    The laser probably wouldn't survive more than a few strikes, although that wouldn't stop the manufacturers making them. Or some idiot buying one. How about a hammer and gloves 'kit', with magnets fitted (opposing polarities) so that the hammer cannot strike the glove. That might work. Or one with a built in metal detector, so it will only hit something made of steel. With an override switch for workmen with prosthetic hands.
    That is a genius idea! Honestly, a glove that prevents the hammer from hitting your finger! Or perhaps you could sell nails that were magnetized, to attract the head of the hammer?

Probably a day late and a Pound short, since most contractors use nail guns these days. I witnessed a contractor who came to make a tiny repair, he unloaded his small air compressor, unrolled an extension cord and plugged it in, unrolled an air hose, hooked up his nail gun, held a small piece of trim over the door, shot two nails, rolled it all up and left. I could have grabbed a hammer and fixed the trim 10 times before he did. So the magnetic hammer would have done him no good at all!

And lasers are pretty tough, I’ve got one on my 38 Special, and after many shots it’s still alive and dead on the mark. My old eyesight takes too long to focus on the sights, and target, so I opted for the laser.

Russell

I'm fuckoff.

I had a Sanders Magtech that had leaky caps and cooked an amp board inside.

Roger Sanders is a real gentleman and sent me replacement parts out for everything, as well as detailed instructions on how to fix it all if I wanted to do it myself. Superb service.

All of the other gear I’ve owned has worked fine.

I think the OP is unrealistic in his expectation of ‘really expensive’ gear lasting forever. Nothing lasts forever and his midi system isn’t exactly a significant sample size to back up his argument. If my gear broke, I’m supported by the original company. If his midi system broke, it’s game over.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    ..... and the server software does still work, but now maintained by an army of volunteers. I like these when I get the servers running, but that’s not too often nowadays......

I have other kit which is “centuries” old which is still good and working. The Logitech stuff was a real bummer, with a very short effective lifespan.
    The server software has always been opensource.
    Slim Devices didn't own it, and neither did Logitech.
    The army of volunteers has been there from the start.

As to a short effective lifespan - my Squeezebox Touch is used daily, as is my son's.
    We don't do stupid things like unplugging the power supply at the player end - I have heard a few sob stories where someone has unplugged at the player, and had a number of plug ends loose(different PSUs), didn't check before plugging in the first one to hand, and experienced the acrid smell of the magic smoke.

I expect to be running my Squeezebox Touch for a good many years to come.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If you have a list of everlasting Hi-Fi we'd love to hear about it. Otherwise I think most of us accept that equipment will fail eventually.
    My mother's quad qc/2 and vitavox bitone continue to work without issue. Amps are still on original valves, but that's only from the early 1950s?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast