+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we the most stupid mofo's on the planet

I'm dave.

I have just updated a Quad 33/303 from the late 60's early 70's ( serial No 5999 and 2922 ) both worked when they arrived even though they were tatty . A quick recap and paint ( power coat ) and they sound good as new ( may be better as Quad 33 had poor bottom end due to low value input caps ( 0.68uf) . There are a lot of Quads out there still working even though they are over 40 years old

Dave
    Any tool can be used as a hammer but a screwdriver makes the best chisel

I'm Mike.

Actually the only bit of kit of mine which has failed was a Valhalla power supply in an LP12. Mind you, it was a good 30 years old and I did leave it powered on all the time Replacing it with a Hercules was a step up anyway!

I'm Steve.

The Valhalla on my LP12 failed after I'd had it about three years. Linn replaced it with a new one free of charge even though I had bought the deck secondhand from a private seller. I'd say that was pretty good service. How a company/manufacturer deals with problems is important, and it would be nice to hear of any who have gone 'the extra mile'.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Russell.

As a young man, I marveled over a friend’s older brother’s Sansui amp! A Sansui 9090, if memory serves. It was huge! Heavy, beautiful tuner dial in the front.

So, in the mid 80’s, I bought a matching rack system of Sansui, a 100w integrated amp, tuner, linear tracking turntable, cassette deck, speakers, and CD player! That’s one of the reasons I bought it, CD players were rare at the time, back when there were only a few CD’s by the register at the record store. I paid extra for the 5 year warranty.

Within that 5 years, every single piece of it wound up in the shop! It blew a channel in the amp. The speakers always had a rattle, they never could fix, the tuner went dark, the turntable never did work worth a darn. The linear motor and belt was always locking up, jumping off, I’m not sure. And eventually the CD player wouldn’t read discs, they kept it for 6 months before they would confess they couldn’t fix it, and gave me store credit and I bought a Sony. It was a major pile of crap, cheap, shrill, I never could listen for more than an hour at a time. And it seemed every few months something was broken, and believe me, I take very good care of my gear. When the warranty ran out, I got it all working and sold it for whatever I could get. Was so glad to see it go.

I then got an Adcom 555 and Adcom tuner/preamp, Sony ES CD, Denon turntable, and Vandersteen 2Ci’s, and that system lasted over 30 years without a single fault! And, was pretty amazing if I do say so.

Russell

I'm Russell.

Oh! I forgot to mention, I saved up my money and bought me a new VPI 16.5 RCM! It was very nice, I bragged on it all the time. But, one month past it’s warranty, it developed a serious leak in the motor! Water coming out of the electric pump. So, I contacted VPI, instead of talking to a tech, I spoke with the President of the company. He was rather short, I had to email him 3 times to get the mailing address and everything I needed to know to send it in for repair.

They lost it! I never got it back! I had a receipt from UPS showing they signed for it. They just did nothing, I was out my $600 RCM and they didn’t even apologize! Just screwed me royally! Bad form, seriously bad form. Apparently they don’t have a regular repair department? As I couldn’t figure why I was dealing with their president? This leak was a well documented flaw in their early models, so I know they knew what was wrong with it.

Now, I’ve got a VPI Scout record player, that I bought before this happened. I love this record player, best I’ve ever had! But you can bet if it ever needs service, I won’t be sending it to them! I’ve considered selling it and buying another brand, because I hate to represent their company! Sad. It’s been 8 years so I’m not seething with rage as I was when it happened, but I’m still shocked anyone could have such horrible customer service. I bought a Project to replace it, and it really is a much better machine.

Russell

I'm Martin.

Nothing that I have bought has let me down...that needs mentioning because buying well does pay off in the world of budget hifi.

I felt a bit down when a Creek 3040 Tuner failed after 35 years...35 Years!! That will probably be capacitors and I will take a look at it.

My Marantz equipment has been going strong for 15 years and thats in Class A mode.. Ive got still Duals going strong after a normal servicing.

The only thing I wouldnt buy are the cheaper all in one sytems. In my experience the cheap convenience stuff fails...you buy better and it reaps rewards over time.

I cant imagine high end stuff being unreliable but I read this thread with interest...didnt enough Musical Fidelity A1s fry up?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Nothing that I have bought has let me down...that needs mentioning because buying well does pay off in the world of budget hifi.

I felt a bit down when a Creek 3040 Tuner failed after 35 years...35 Years!! That will probably be capacitors and I will take a look at it.

My Marantz equipment has been going strong for 15 years and thats in Class A mode.. Ive got still Duals going strong after a normal servicing.

The only thing I wouldnt buy are the cheaper all in one sytems. In my experience the cheap convenience stuff fails...you buy better and it reaps rewards over time.

I cant imagine high end stuff being unreliable but I read this thread with interest...didnt enough Musical Fidelity A1s fry up?
    Good thread this and one i am in total agreement with. I own thousands of pounds worth of amps and i am using a thirty odd year old Naim whilst my others are being repaired. Thinking of buying an integrated amp

I'm Dennis.

In '75, a BC 107 went intermittent and noisy in my Nelson-Jones 10+10, a manufactured fault, and I changed it

When I sold my Tannoy Gold Lancasters to The Vintage Wireless Company, I squeaked them only to find a serious tweeter resonance at about 14k.

I've had Alps pots fail on an AVI and an ATC pre, both prior to the redesign with larger diameter motors.

I'm Dave.

Very disappointed with Logitech Squeezebox Boom, Classic, Touch etc. Originally seemed a good idea, but Logitech gave up on the system too early. Particularly disappointing is the large “radio” Boom version, which still powers up, but forgets its settings regularly, and also also has been “infected” with a nasty stickiness (well documented elsewhere I think) which makes the knobs and buttons unpleasant to handle. Very poor show. I liked the concept. I think my Classic and Touch do still work though, and the server software does still work, but now maintained by an army of volunteers. I like these when I get the servers running, but that’s not too often nowadays.

I have other kit which is “centuries” old which is still good and working. The Logitech stuff was a real bummer, with a very short effective lifespan.
    Dave

I'm Bruce.

Classe Audio amp and preamp: solid for more than 25 years. I did change out electrolytics preemptively. Oh yeah, preamp became problematic and non-functional due to too much mucking about inside.
    Muse DAC: no faults.
    Audio Research CD: no faults.
    Theta transport: laser stopped tracking correctly after 5 years, part no longer available
    Von Schweikert Research VR4 speakers: no faults
    Proac Response 1SC spkrs: no faults

...so I've done very well except for the transport.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast