+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Are we the most stupid mofo's on the planet

I'm James.

Oh, and a 100% original Chicago wire recorder from 1934 that works without fault or repair. Mind you I've got plenty of crappy stuff that has given up before it should as well, especially 1990s and 2000s equipment.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    Oh, and a 100% original Chicago wire recorder from 1934 that works without fault or repair. Mind you I've got plenty of crappy stuff that has given up before it should as well, especially 1990s and 2000s equipment.

A ‘34 wire recorder! That I’d love to see! Do you have any pictures?

Russell

I'm Grant.

Used them during war to fool the Germans etc that we had armies etc, that never were. Couldn't use discs incase of a stick spot giving game away.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

Croft Series 7 power amp.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Used them during war to fool the Germans etc that we had armies etc, that never were. Couldn't use discs incase of a stick spot giving game away.
    The story I have always heard, and I know in fact I saw it on a TV history show, that the wire recorder was invented by Telefunken, during the years Germany was under Nazi control, and that’s why the US never got magnetic recording until after the war. I wonder why they would say such things if the Allies had wire recorders? I swear, as an old man once told me, “don’t believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see”.

Russell

I'm Martin.

In 1944-1945, the 3132 Signal Service Company Special of the U.S. Army's top secret Ghost Army used wire recorders to create sonic deception on the Western Front in the Second World War. Multiple battlefield scenarios were recreated using military sounds recorded at Fort Knox, Kentucky. The wire-recorded audio, which was played back through powerful amplifiers and speakers mounted on vehicles, was used to conceal real Allied deployments, locations and operations

Also

The first magnetic recorder to be made commercially available anywhere was the Telegraphone, manufactured by the American Telegraphone Company, Springfield, Massachusetts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_recording

I know, Wikipedia, but it tends to be pretty accurate for anything non-controversial.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Here's the beastie. I'll add some internals later, Full copper chassis, the idler is about an inch thick .

I like how it's made under armour patents.

I read that they were originally aimed at eg. CEOs of large organisations for use as dictaphones. The 'electronic memory' suggests that?

Interesting their use in the battlefield, they may not jump a groove but the wire is prone to snapping, its very thin!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    The story I have always heard, and I know in fact I saw it on a TV history show, that the wire recorder was invented by Telefunken, during the years Germany was under Nazi control, and that’s why the US never got magnetic recording until after the war. I wonder why they would say such things if the Allies had wire recorders? I swear, as an old man once told me, “don’t believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see”.

Russell
    Thats the other way round. first magnetic tape was made in Germany by AEG and BASF in the 30's. they were all based on Fritz Pfleumer's 1928 paper tape version
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    Here's the beastie. I'll add some internals later, Full copper chassis, the idler is about an inch thick .

I like how it's made under armour patents.

I read that they were originally aimed at eg. CEOs of large organisations for use as dictaphones. The 'electronic memory' suggests that?

Interesting their use in the battlefield, they may not jump a groove but the wire is prone to snapping, its very thin!

That is amazing! I bet that device is worth a mint! Any museum would love to have it on display. It is much more compact than I expected.

Russell

I'm Martin.

Great bit of kit. Built them to last in those days.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast