Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
IME civilians invariably used to think that either Technics or Bang & Olufsen was the best money could buy. Now they just ask why you're not just using your 'phone to listen to music like everybody else does. According to a young colleague her Alexa thingammyjig 'sounds brilliant' and there's no need for anything else. What can you do?
I recall reading an article where one of the Audio Reviewers was on a train, speaking with a young man listening to headphones. He spoke about full, uncompressed downloads, and how they sounded better. But all the young man could say was, his phone could hold 70,000 songs! Like that was far more important than sound quality. He asked him, “Do you have 70K songs?”, and having one thousand songs that actually sounded better may be preferable. To which the young man replied, “but mine will hold 70K songs!”.

When I moved some dozen years ago now, I had nowhere to set my stereo up. So I gave my entire Adcom system to my daughter and her now husband. They blew it up. However! They are now hooked on better sound quality! And my son in law has a rather nice system, including a $2k record player. Mission accomplished

Russell