+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is this Us?

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    IME civilians invariably used to think that either Technics or Bang & Olufsen was the best money could buy. Now they just ask why you're not just using your 'phone to listen to music like everybody else does. According to a young colleague her Alexa thingammyjig 'sounds brilliant' and there's no need for anything else. What can you do?
    I recall reading an article where one of the Audio Reviewers was on a train, speaking with a young man listening to headphones. He spoke about full, uncompressed downloads, and how they sounded better. But all the young man could say was, his phone could hold 70,000 songs! Like that was far more important than sound quality. He asked him, “Do you have 70K songs?”, and having one thousand songs that actually sounded better may be preferable. To which the young man replied, “but mine will hold 70K songs!”.

When I moved some dozen years ago now, I had nowhere to set my stereo up. So I gave my entire Adcom system to my daughter and her now husband. They blew it up. However! They are now hooked on better sound quality! And my son in law has a rather nice system, including a $2k record player. Mission accomplished

Russell

I'm Dennis.

"I was reading in a book of letters somewhere about how modern actors can't enunciate properly, so it's impossible to make out what they're saying. When was the book written? (totters over to bookcase) ah, yes, 1957."

That seems to suggest that it is the relative shift in dialect which is a problem, that occurring across one's lifetime perhaps, (and is a universal problem like the other post on Hi-Fi fanaticism from the 50s). This means it is in the 'personal software' of the individual that the problem lies.

I also remember well my late great aunt complaining about enunciation in about '67, she born in 1895.

Preferring a higher number of songs at lower quality may well be a reflection of the paucity of real content they have, like a hungry animal searching the rubbish for something vaguely nutritional.

I had great difficulty this morning listening to R4 - the reverend's (from Bronski Beat), programme.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    "

like a hungry animal searching the rubbish for something vaguely nutritional.

Brilliant.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    "I was reading in a book of letters somewhere about how modern actors can't enunciate properly, so it's impossible to make out what they're saying. When was the book written? (totters over to bookcase) ah, yes, 1957."

That seems to suggest that it is the relative shift in dialect which is a problem, that occurring across one's lifetime perhaps, (and is a universal problem like the other post on Hi-Fi fanaticism from the 50s). This means it is in the 'personal software' of the individual that the problem lies.

I also remember well my late great aunt complaining about enunciation in about '67, she born in 1895.

Preferring a higher number of songs at lower quality may well be a reflection of the paucity of real content they have, like a hungry animal searching the rubbish for something vaguely nutritional.

I had great difficulty this morning listening to R4 - the reverend's (from Bronski Beat), programme.
    I find the Reverend Cole's enunciation to be very good indeed. Not only that, he always has an interesting take on things which he can express in a most articulate manner.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

Is this relevant?

https://youtu.be/EL5SzTSMxLU
    Dave

I'm Dennis.

Yes Barry, the reverend Richard Cole is articulate and enunciates well, but there is something ingratiating about him which jars with me.

I also find it incongruous to think that only a few years ago he was playing keyboard with Bronski Beat, and for the song "Ain't Necessarily So".

We are all barking mad - I am thinking of changing my speakers again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345