Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
Is that the original CD, or the remaster? How does the CD sound? The reason I'm asking is, as I've mentioned in the original post, the remastered "Like a Virgin" is so bloody compressed that it can give you a nose bleed! How much more charming is the more natural sounding "Immaculate Collection" CD.

I just saw Madonna's first CD remastered on sale in the nearby HMV store, and I'm now debating whether to buy it. If it turns out that it's done in the same ham-fisted way as "Like a Virgin", I'll skip and dig for the original CD at various garage sales this summer.
I've steered clear of the remasters - not particularly deliberately, just as I have bought every one of her albums on CD (and the first several on vinyl, as well as about 20 7" singes, (including the first 5 on Japanese "virgin" vinyl) at least 10 12" singles (one signed)) her Sex book, most of her (awful) films - I've paid for at least one round of cosmetic surgery for her, I can't continue to help her transformation into Desert Orchid...!

Fish out the original if you can - (IMHO remastering has much more positive outcomes with older material) - I've always thought it sounds fine, not an obvious candidate for a makeover - in fact it is timeless, in my opinion.