+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another vinyl stalwart

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Tim.

Thumbs up Another vinyl stalwart

Hello there

I'm a newbie based in the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia - down on the Mornington Peninsula.

I'm a strictly vinyl kind of a guy - it just makes me happy pulling those big black shiny discs out of their sleeve and hearing that familiar crackle before the show begins...

My main system is a bit of a mish mash and has just kind of evolved as I've tried/experimented with different bits.

Turntable = Thorens TD126 - re-potted into a nice piano black custom plinth and re-fitted with a Mission Mechanic arm with Ortofon Cadenza Blue LOMC cartridge.

Amplification by Albarry - AP4 preamp plus M608 monoblocks with the little Tisbury phono stage. Love the monoblocks but am looking at upgrading the preamp and phono stage (open to suggestions).

Speakers are Dynaudio Audience A70s with a Mission 78S subwoofer for extra oomph. Cabling is a bit "no name" but its decent enough.

I also have a couple of sets of the old 1980s Cyrus 2 + PSX (these never cease to amaze me relative to cost) and the AR Cambridge A60 for 3 other turntables which are

Thorens TD125 - also re-potted (into a custom mahogany plinth) and re-fitted with a Zeta arm and the Transfiguration Axia cartridge
    Mission 775SM (the 17kg deck) - with a Zeta arm (the silver wired VDH job)
    Mission 775S - with the 774SM arm

A bit OTT but I just like to have the old hi fi gear around for nostalgic reasons.

My music tastes are centred around rock/prog rock and consists mainly of stuff like Alan Parsons, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Rush, Bryan Ferry etc. but also the more meaty stuff like Deep Purple, The Who, Led Zep, Rolling Stones, Dire Straits and the older Aussie rock like Cold Chisel and (early) Midnight Oil.

I'm into collecting (but playing) nice near mint (or mint) first pressings as well as any special pressings (MFSL, HSM etc.) if reviews stack up.

Looking forward to contributing to the forum

Cheers

Tim

I'm Grant.

Welcome to AoS Tim. Alberry made nice gear.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Robin.

Welcome Tim, enjoy the forum
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm James.

Welcome Tim.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Tim,

Some nice gear you have there.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

What a fantastic introduction, Tim - that's the way to do it! Another fan of Albarry here, from my limited experience. Welcome to AoS, and hope you enjoy the forum.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Russell.

You’re in good company Tim, many vinyl junkies here on the forum!

Russell

I'm alan.

Nice intro Tim........Welcome.

I'm Tim.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I will provide a few photos some time soon.

Cheers

Tim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast