+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Everything is somebody else's fault

I'm Alan.

Steve your point 2 is absolute common sense, unfortunately that took a huge nose dive when all the political correctness came in.

I'm all for the president of Uruguay giving carte blanche for drug pushers to be shot on sight, I wonder if they could do that here?

(Liking the new T shirt)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I'm all for the president of Uruguay giving carte blanche for drug pushers to be shot on sight, I wonder if they could do that here?
    They should do it for littering and fly tipping.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

I think we have a nanny state but not where it matters. I would haul drug users off for some sort of forced rehab..anyone thats a menace to society. Less of the there there and more of you're coming for help whether you like it or not

Its difficult one because I like to think Im very liberal but am I really? We need some order in this society.

This PC thing is being used in a malicious way. I had someone accusing me of being homophobic last night because the bar was closed and I was seeing to other people.

Almost laughable in its immaturity but deeply sinister at the same time. I had to play it down without offence and report it to my manager

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Regarding that last sentence, a couple of points:

1. Back then, most of us had nothing worth nicking, and

2. despite some disagreement last time I suggested this, I do believe that most of our street crime is drug-related on some level. The people involved are way more afraid of the guys they're working for than anything the police and courts can do to them. Proper support for people with drug problems, funded through the sale of said drugs through licensed outlets has got to be worth a try, as nothing else is working
    That would be my solution too. What we have now is just like during prohibition in the USA, a multi-billion pound industry with no regulation and no taxation, and the rival gangs knocking each other off to get a bigger share of the pie. People are never going to stop using coke and weed so there needs to be a realistic solution to that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Regarding that last sentence, a couple of points:

1. Back then, most of us had nothing worth nicking
    Speak for yourself!

Oh and I also favour Martin's uncle's approach to policing. It was undoubtedly far more effective.

Marco.

P.S Like your new avvy... Have you got one 'brewing' now?
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    My uncle was a copper. First in the military police, then a woodentop, then a detective. His beat used to be Toxteth, Liverpool 8 where he was known to the locals as 'Noddy' due to his habit of headbutting anyone who gave him lip. No warning, just butt them.

His view was that back then they knew who all the scrotes were and it was all about keeping them off the streets by fair means or foul, even if that meant extracting a confession by force.

It didn't matter whether they were guilty of that particular crime or not, they would still be guilty of something else, possibly something the police didn't even know about. So he figured it was fair enough.

He thought the Police And Criminal Evidence act was the 'Worst thing that ever happened to policing in this country' as it put a stop to all that carry-on. I've mixed feelings about that even now but no question he was a highly experienced police officer so you couldn't really take his opinion lightly. And according to old people crime was much less widespread back then.
    Re the last point, my mother was always going on about there being no crime when she was a lass. Then she'd regale us with stories about the woman next door whose husband was always in and out of jail for knocking her about, and about the dodgy goings-on of my aunt's employer who ran a coach business which was a cover for illegal betting, selling black market goods, and so on. There was plenty of crime, but much of it was regarded as getting one over the authorities and hence not really criminal. And here's Ringo Starr on life in the Dingle in the late '40s early '50s: 'Adding to their difficult circumstances, violent crime was an almost constant concern for people living in one of the oldest and poorest inner-city districts in Liverpool.[31] Starkey later commented: "You kept your head down, your eyes open, and you didn't get in anybody's way.' My father used to tell us about walking home along the Dock Road after doing a late shift: 'There was a pub on every corner, and a fight outside every pub. You just kept on walking and didn't get involved'.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Best policy in those days, and even now, when you're in someone else's 'manor'... Same also applies when you're on holiday abroad in foreign cities. The last thing anyone with a brain wants to do is 'stand out' in the wrong way. Blend into the environment, as inconspicuously as possible, is the one!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Re the last point, my mother was always going on about there being no crime when she was a lass. Then she'd regale us with stories about the woman next door whose husband was always in and out of jail for knocking her about, and about the dodgy goings-on of my aunt's employer who ran a coach business which was a cover for illegal betting, selling black market goods, and so on. There was plenty of crime, but much of it was regarded as getting one over the authorities and hence not really criminal. .
    Pretty much. Added to which locals tended to sort out their own problems without involving the police at all. Someone caught thieving would get a good hiding for example. Someone knocking their wife or girlfriend about would get a 'visit' from her father and/or brothers. Reporting any of that to the authorities was 'grassing' and would also result in a beating.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Added to which locals tended to sort out their own problems without involving the police at all
    Some of us still do!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Its generally pretty quiet where I am; even my last street was quiet, although it was going downhill .. This one is not what it was either, as older folk die off and incomers appear and dont keep the place tidy or quiet. Seems to be a modern disease.. I can do what i want and fcuk my neighbours attitude sadly.

Still, its better than most.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast