+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leak point one tl12.1 mono power amp & pre

I'm Alan.

Tipton near Dudley.

I'm Don.

Let me remind everyone that this is the daddy of the mono valve world...the Holy grail of any HJ Leak valve amp, so sought after, that £1800 is pittance for this piece of amplification history.
    How anyone can compare this amplifier to a TL12 + is absurd, bordering on insanity.

Some info for the luddites ...

In September 1945 the company released the first of the "Point One" series of amplifiers, so named because the total harmonic distortion was 0.1% at rated output. This represented a major leap forward in accepted standards for high-performance amplifiers (with 2% distortion generally considered acceptable at the time). This first "Point One" amplifier was known as the Type 15, and produced 15 watts output, at 0.1% distortion, using push-pull*KT66*valves connected as*triodes, with 26*dB*feedback*applied over four stages. The amplifier has a similar topology to the*Williamson amplifier*published in*Wireless World*in 1947.

Even if you found another one to make a pair, for stereo purposes it would be pure sacrilege to modify a 12 1!

Good luck with the sale Andy!

Ps. Why don't I buy it?
    Had one bought from Bell St. 30 years ago .and sold it later.
    I don't do mono
    I'm skint!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for that Don . I do now have a few potential buyers albeit they are abroad, one of whom is in Italy and has asked if I am prepared to meet him at Luton airport with it , just got to get the timings right .
    I’ve had a couple of very low ridiculous offers from a elsewhere too .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Ian.

How times change,

I was given a pre/power back in the early 90s when I bought a leak troughline tuner, the seller told me the power amp had valves missing, didn't work and was worthless!

I replaced the valves but couldn't work out the output wiring taps config. I took it to John Turrell in Claverton ( a valve genius and one of the most honest engineers I have ever had the pleasure to meet. RIP John). He checked it over and told me these amps were very rare and brilliant too. Not long after I came across another at the pricey sum of £10 !!!

I had them sympathetically rebuilt by Graham Tricker. I had not idea what sympathetically meant but went it, I was "somewhat" richer and more naive back then. I was assured the £500 cost was well worth it. It included Jenson paper in oil caps, carbon resistors etc. Turns out it was - top quality rebuild.

I ran them till 2010 when I needed some money to pay off the mortgage and they brought in £4000 from a dealer. I was offered £5000 + shipping from a buyer in China but thought shipping too risky. Longest time any amp has run in my system, the TL12+/stereo 20 does not compare I owned both of them back them. Actually I still have the stereo 20 and for that matter the mono pre-amp too.

The only notable problem I had in all the time I used them (4-5 hours a day for 20 years) was when I tried some Philips Miniwatt rectifiers, they sparked like mad despite Jim Fish (another genuine valve guru who is sadly no longer with us) assuring me that they were genuine Mullards. Anyway being a true gent he managed to source some Mullard branded ones for me and swapped them over for no extra cost. Few dealers offer that sort of service these days.

Great amps and much missed
    Last edited by Mr.Ian; 31-07-2019 at 02:56. Reason: grammar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12