+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DCB1 trials

I'm James.

Just one thought. Leaving transformer wires drifting like in the photo is asking for trouble. At least put them in an insulated terminal block before you ask for advice. As it is you are asking for advice about a potential homicide.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    Just one thought. Leaving transformer wires drifting like in the photo is asking for trouble. At least put them in an insulated terminal block before you ask for advice. As it is you are asking for advice about a potential homicide.

I may be wrong but I don't think that TX is connected looking at the pic?

I'm Steve.

Hi Dom

Its silly oclock but I'm awake.
    I can see a few small errors in your build that need sorting before you power up.

Will pm you when its a more reasonable time.

Steve.
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I may be wrong but I don't think that TX is connected looking at the pic?
    In light of morning you appear correct, thanks for this, my post is rather overstated, so also apologies to the op. I still maintain that loose power circuit wires, at any stage, should be tidied away from any mains connections, at the very least with the bare ends taped off. It's too easy to brush past those wires whilst checking, with the potential for all sorts of harm.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    In light of morning you appear correct, thanks for this, my post is rather overstated, so also apologies to the op. I still maintain that loose power circuit wires, at any stage, should be tidied away from any mains connections, at the very least with the bare ends taped off. It's too easy to brush past those wires whilst checking, with the potential for all sorts of harm.

Yes, good practice to get everything safe as it's easy to forget and hook it up without realising

I'm Dominic.

So, thanks to everyone who has made suggestions and given advice. So far I have:
    - cut link J2 (though understand this link is now within the board anyway)
    - installed link J3
    - installed second parallel link at 2 x 600? position
    - checked no continuity between FETs and case
    - ordered larger isolation /thermal transfer pads to go under FETs

Still no leds light when powered and V+ and V- too high at over 16V DC.

I’ll try again at the weekend when new isolation pads arrive. Next up I’ll start replacing leds one by one. Then if still no joy it’s time to ‘phone a friend’.
    Dom

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Keep plugging away at it Dom , I had to send my board to Alan (Firebottle) of this parish to trouble shot for me. Its worth the wait once up and running. Good luck !

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Btw have you tried power through the other board? If you swap it over that one might work. ?

I'm Dominic.

Default Found a problem with the LEDs

I thought I had gone to so much trouble to get the LEDs in the right way round, but alas not. I just tested them all with a battery and resistor circuit. The good news is they all still work. The bad news is the orange work the opposite way round to the clear(red when on) leds. The orange light when +ve connected to the square terminal and the clear-red only light when +ve connected to circular pad. I checked on two unused LEDs and orange light with +ve on the long leg while clear light +ve on short leg. WHICH NEED TO BE TURNED AROUND??

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

weird I thought all short leads were negative ? all polarity as per the board i think really. from memory +ve on the circle side and -ve on the flat side. Someone less numpty like will be along to confirm/deny shotly I imagine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast