+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DCB1 trials

I'm Dominic.

Default DCB1 trials

For my second adventure in the world of diy electronics I’m building a dcb1 preamp. Buoyed by the eventual success of my first project, a Bigbottle mc phono stage, which after a lot of help from Oliver has seen a great leap forward in my system’s musicality, I thought I’d see if I could get a similar improvement in the next link in the chain.
    I’ve assembled two boards and plan to get it working unbalanced first, with provision to try a balanced arrangement in the future when I can afford a 4 pole Khozmo.
    It’s taken me some while to build as there were no parts kits left so I’ve had to source components individually. With my rather basics electronics knowledge (A level physics back in 77) and a bewildering choice of similar components available progress has been slow.
    So the big switch on today, and…. well, nothing. No lights no signal, nothing! Any. Thoughts on where to start looking would be very welcome. Measuring the input voltage 12.6V to signal ground or 25.4V across terminals. Also there is a very gentle ‘buzz’ to the touch on the casework. No J3 installed - is that right?
    Thanks for any help.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

hi , Are the 4 big Fets on the side in the right places? I made that mistake and got no lights etc check the components are in the right place. the voltages seem high, on the V+- out should be at the 9-10 v mark.

Don't worry I'm sure Steve Oliver and others will be along to help.
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Looking at the board you have included the short jumper 2 - J2 by the V out , you don't need this it belongs to an earlier iteration of the board. . Take it out and it might work.

Good luck.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Check my thread pics for board close ups for comparison see the J2 jumper slot is unused. .

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...pty-DCB1/page4

Bigman80 Guest

Dom,

Have you got isolation pads under the fets? If they have exposed metal on the back, I would expect this to be the problem or a problem as I can't see the rest.

Check the part numbers are in the correct places too.

PS, feel free to share your thoughts on the BigBottle, no one has yet!!! I'm starting to wonder if it's shit!?

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Check my thread pics for board close ups for comparison see the J2 jumper slot is unused. .

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...pty-DCB1/page4
    Andy - looking at your thread pics I should cut J2 but install J3 - is that right?

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Dom,

Have you got isolation pads under the fets? If they have exposed metal on the back, I would expect this to be the problem or a problem as I can't see the rest.

Check the part numbers are in the correct places too.

PS, feel free to share your thoughts on the BigBottle, no one has yet!!! I'm starting to wonder if it's shit!?
    Oliver
    I only have clear mica TO220 pads in for isolation - theyre a bit small and I see one is a bit squiff, I see if I can get bigger ones to be sure.
    BTW really pleased with Bigbottle phono now. I'm not good at reviews, but it has a much more fluid and musical sound than my previous Dino - defo NOT shite at all....

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Domg View Post
    Oliver
    I only have clear mica TO220 pads in for isolation - theyre a bit small and I see one is a bit squiff, I see if I can get bigger ones to be sure.
    BTW really pleased with Bigbottle phono now. I'm not good at reviews, but it has a much more fluid and musical sound than my previous Dino - defo NOT shite at all....
    Haha, thanks Dom. That'll do me nicely.

I'd double check that there's isolation there. Get a multimeter on the connectivity setting and just check that centre screw and chassis aren't connected.

Other than that, I'm at a loss.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by Domg View Post
    Andy - looking at your thread pics I should cut J2 but install J3 - is that right?
    Hi Dominic

By J3 do you mean the jumper that replaces the 2 resistors as per the note on the board? For the
    12v relay? I guess yes.

J2 is the only jumper not used unless the relay is less than 12v.

looks like you're using the same hook up wire as I did, it will sound fine then!

Oliver I'll be building the Bigbottle over this winter, I'm sure it's not shit! Even if it is the board looks nice!lol

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Hi Dominic

By J3 do you mean the jumper that replaces the 2 resistors as per the note on the board? For the
    12v relay? I guess yes.

J2 is the only jumper not used unless the relay is less than 12v.

looks like you're using the same hook up wire as I did, it will sound fine then!

Oliver I'll be building the Bigbottle over this winter, I'm sure it's not shit! Even if it is the board looks nice!lol
    Lmao, I know it's not mate

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast