+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Tonearms

I'm Andrew.

Wow a real hornets nest. I've had little time today to research tonearms I've been completely stumped putting the 401 back together!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    I have a serious soft spot for the IKEDA 407 although they are a bit sample dependant some sound darker and fleshed out and some clean and fast I have owned several over the years also I have had issues with alignment and sticky bearings, even so I love the arm.

Yes I would agree with this, my IT-345 CR1 (the chrome finish 9 inch version) wasn't performing its best, this is a post-2011 (post Ikeda's retirement and handover of the company) arm, when I got it looked at it needed some fairly stiff intervention to bring it back to top performance.

By contrast when my IT-407 was looked at - an early one with the brushed finish - it was pronounced to be in perfect health despite being a couple of decades older. (And this chimed with listening to it - which is always a pleasure). Thankfully the IT-345 is also performing beautifully now.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Yes I would agree with this, my IT-345 CR1 (the chrome finish 9 inch version) wasn't performing its best, this is a post-2011 (post Ikeda's retirement and handover of the company) arm, when I got it looked at it needed some fairly stiff intervention to bring it back to top performance.

By contrast when my IT-407 was looked at - an early one with the brushed finish - it was pronounced to be in perfect health despite being a couple of decades older. (And this chimed with listening to it - which is always a pleasure). Thankfully the IT-345 is also performing beautifully now.
    i love the brushed finish of the early ones, your example looks lovely. I have just purchased what is supposed to japanese market 407it from Unique Audio, the arm has a sharper bend and aligns perfectly using the smart tractor, its a superb arm indeed.I have only ever had one 345 thankfully it worked well. Of all the modern Ikeda 407 arms this is the first example I have had zero issues with with getting to to align a spu and other cartridges it does sound rather good.
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 30-06-2019 at 08:59.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm John.

I've been looking at some of the Tonearms that have been put forward as suggestions.
    It is a good selection from design to price point, there is a lot to consider.
    I was wondering about the possibility of another option that I will share, as it is on the topic.
    It could also be cost effective, If a Tonearm Brand has a interchangeable arm tube, that can be a 9" and 12".
    This would meet the requirements of the OP, but may require a variation to the counterweight and will require a mounting plate that can allow for the positioning of the pillar to suit either arm tube length.
    A Audio Technica AT-1100, AT-1120 ( can be found at a fair price) and AT-1010 ( rarer and usually more expensive than the other two models), these all have Detachable Arm Tubes and the ASP-11 Curved Arm Tube having Detachable SME Type Bayonet Head Shells, as a result, offering plenty of options to interchange components in the make up.
    If a arm tube could be produced in the length to produce a 12" version, using donor parts from another say
    ASP-1 arm tube, this might work if a straight arm is acceptable.
    If a Curved Arm Tube was required, a ASP-1 and a little further investigation into how the head shell will attach
    would be necessary, in my mind a Female SME Bayonet Socket would be fine.
    I know there is a lot of knowledge available about the Audio Technica Tonearms being referred to, so this concept could be put to bed very shortly.
    Last edited by JohnG; 30-06-2019 at 08:19. Reason: spell check

I'm Adrian.

Thought you might find this interesting as I have just tried out the JELCO TK850M (10") the whole 850 range I have been told is good and very good value at around £1K.

So I have been playing with the Voyd again, this time with a new tone arm that was recommended to me. I have always wanted to try a 10" arm out and so as the Voyd can take one that is what I decided to do. The arm is a new JELCO TK850M. I found fitting it not too bad although setting the arm up needs a little patience, not a job to rush, and I checked everything several times.

I have listened to my 15 or so favourite evaluation tracks and in summary the result I think is this:-

The Jelco TK850M tonearm is very impressive. I expected it to be quite good but maybe not as good as it has turned out. It seems to be an arm that does not clutter or colour the music, far from it the result is a very open soundstage and it seems to get great clarity. I find it more lively than the SME IV that I own, I think that a sense of more rhythm comes to mind and hence it all sounds more musical. From my scoring across the board the Jelco is certainly at least as good as the SME IV, and in my estimation in my set up is pulling more detail out of the groove, maybe this is due to more accurate tracking at 10", and presenting it very nicely. I would give it a 9.5 out of 10, the SME is a low 9.

So to sum up with the right cartridge and turntable in my opinion the Jelco TK850M is a bit of a giant slayer and is an absolute bargain for the cost.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Ben.

Some small points of order. I’ve just finished a spree so I have most of the below.
    1 the 12 inch fidelity research. This is the fr66. This goes for silly money these days - about $5000.
    2 a stax ua 70 is good but seems lightweight. It’s not that expensive I’ve but some say that the detachable arm tube creates resonance. Make sure the optional additional counterweights come with.
    3 the ac3000 is 9 inches - the audio craft 12 incher s are the ac400, ac400 ii and the ac4000. I have an ac400 but haven’t not installed it yet. It’s a unipivot.
    4 you might also consider a jasmine audio tp297. This is Chinese but well built. Installing this one next week in my sp10 / Acoustand deck ((huge thanks to Lee).

If you’re interest in getting stuff from Japan directly - and the prices are good but do bear in mind shipping and duty- try zenmarket. It works, but make sure you use PayPal, in case.

Cheers

We

Made.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkrise View Post
    Some small points of order. I’ve just finished a spree so I have most of the below.
    1 the 12 inch fidelity research. This is the fr66. This goes for silly money these days - about $5000.
    2 a stax ua 70 is good but seems lightweight. It’s not that expensive I’ve but some say that the detachable arm tube creates resonance. Make sure the optional additional counterweights come with.
    3 the ac3000 is 9 inches - the audio craft 12 incher s are the ac400, ac400 ii and the ac4000. I have an ac400 but haven’t not installed it yet. It’s a unipivot.
    4 you might also consider a jasmine audio tp297. This is Chinese but well built. Installing this one next week in my sp10 / Acoustand deck ((huge thanks to Lee).

If you’re interest in getting stuff from Japan directly - and the prices are good but do bear in mind shipping and duty- try zenmarket. It works, but make sure you use PayPal, in case.

Cheers

We

Made.
    If you can find a FR66S for $5000 I would buy it like a shot.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Ben.

My bad. 5000 pounds!

Why though, is it that good? Reports on fr 64 seem mixed ...

Or would you flip it?

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by helma View Post
    Maybe something like a SAEC with their somewhat crazy one nullpoint geometry and double knife-edge bearing? Or one of the vintage unipivots like Audiocraft or even Stax UA-something (hmm were those even unipivots, I seem to think so)? If going for vintage, there are a crazy amount of Japanese tonearms around, some of them very good, some of them not so, but most of them very well made, though bearings might (probably?) need attention at this point.
    Kmm
    The Sorane definitely looks interesting, if I had the expendable dough, I'd get one just out of curiosity

What about ViV lab rigid float? Completely straight (no offset angle) and very short tonearm with weird bearings for crazy money. How could you go wrong with that
    stax UA-70 is a kind of unipivot but not as wobbly as the usual unipivots. I use one on my Denon DP80, excellent arm.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkrise View Post

Cheers

We

Made.
    The Stax UA-70 may be lighter than some but I've found it to be very versatile, used it with a Benz wood, Decca C4e and Shure ultra 500, that is my favourite cart. Has an additional counterweight for heavier carts. I'm sure the arm tube can be swapped for a 9" arm tube and the carbon tubes. I have the UA-7 9" arm too but haven't tried the arm tube on the 70 as their us little point when I have both arms. They look to be identical bedsides the tube length. I would like to try a carbon fibre arm tube but it's not cheap or easily available.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast