+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Tonearms

I'm Andrew.

Default Japanese Tonearms

Guys,

im a little bored with my SME3012 and have decided that I would like to try something away from the beaten path. I'm in the process of getting my Garrard 401 ready to be plinthed and I'd like to try something Japanese and preferably 12", my new plinth will also accommodate a 9" arm so I'm happy for suggestions for either. I'm quite happy for old or vintage suggestions. I'm really looking forward to your suggestions.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm John.

I was recently offered a chance to import a Audiocraft AC-3000MC, this was a VGC, Boxed Item.
    I use a PMAT 1010, the Phonomac modified version of the AT-1010.
    As for 12 inch Japanese models, these are slightly harder to come by, Jelco, Ikeda, SEAC and Micro Sieki can be brands seen with available items, especially if a risk through importing is acceptable.

I'm Adam.

Timestep T-612 'banana' tonearm, excellent value.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Nigel.

If you do decide to go 12 inch look out for an ATP16 or AT1501, very good arms imho.

I'm Adam.

Sorane ZA12?
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Kai.

Maybe something like a SAEC with their somewhat crazy one nullpoint geometry and double knife-edge bearing? Or one of the vintage unipivots like Audiocraft or even Stax UA-something (hmm were those even unipivots, I seem to think so)? If going for vintage, there are a crazy amount of Japanese tonearms around, some of them very good, some of them not so, but most of them very well made, though bearings might (probably?) need attention at this point.

The Sorane definitely looks interesting, if I had the expendable dough, I'd get one just out of curiosity

What about ViV lab rigid float? Completely straight (no offset angle) and very short tonearm with weird bearings for crazy money. How could you go wrong with that

I'm Andy.

Hi Rexton

My recommendation would be an Audiocraft AC-3000.
    Used one on my Feickert Twin for a lot of years, never any trouble and just did it's thing no drama's.
    I liked the variable damping adjuster, you can also get various arm upto 12" too.
    If you get the Ltd version you get all the various weights to account for cartridge weights and arm lengths.

DFT 2.jpg

As a thought, I sold mine to Simon at HiFi Sound in Stockton.
    He may have bought it for his personal collection, but could be still there in the shop.
    May be worth a call
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

montesquieu Guest

Worth looking out for an Ikeda IT-407, I have no complaints at all about mine and I regard it as a 'destination' - I admit to having a soft spot for the SME 3012 though for its fluidity. The Ikeda delivers its results in a different way. Anyway, I have evaluated lots of 12in arms and if you need the flexibility of a swappable headshell there's nothing better than the Ikeda in my view.

I swapped it in in place of an Ortofon RMG 309 limited (Limited has a few more toys than the RMG 309i) a 1990s Japanese market reissue of the1960s Ortofon RMG309. This is a great arm especially for SPU, and lovely thing to handle and use.

I previously also had an SME M2-12R which though it looks like the SME 3012 is actually a totally different arm, fully gimballed bearing as opposed to the part knife edge arrangement in the 3012. Quite a different sound to the 3012 and highly regarded in many quarters - indeed I've read praise for it on some forums as the best arm SME have ever made. (I'd certainly take it over an SME V).

As Adam mentioned the Timestep 612 is worth looking at too though it's very high mass and suitable only for the lowest compliance cartridges - all the others can do low compliance but can also cope with more mainstream cartridges as well. I had one briefly. The sound was fabulous, only reservations were ergonomic - it's just not quite as luxurious to use as the SMEs, Ortofon or Ikeda.

The SAEC WE407 is pretty cool but knife edge, as indeed is the new Jelco TK850 the 12in version of which I rate very highly (wouldn't surprise me if back to back the Jelco managed to better the SME 3012), so might not be the sort of audible change you are looking for. I have a hankering to check out the SAEC and spent some time with the Japanese guys at Munich this year looking at the re-issued version which is astronomically priced.

Personally I'm not the biggest fan of unipivots but there aren't that many with removable headshells anyway, one of the few is the bendy version of the Audiocraft AC3000 ... I didn't rate the one I heard, but arm performance is always highly dependent on what you use them with (cartridge especially but also TT ).

Pics: 12in Ikeda, 12in and 9in Ikedas, Timestep 612 and Ikeda together, Orofon RMG 309 Limited (with FR702 cartridge) and close-up, and SME M2-12R

Last edited by montesquieu; 29-06-2019 at 11:49.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

+1 for both the Ikeda-modified Ortophon RMG309i and the SME M2-12R. To these I would also add the Brinkmann 10.5, but this is a fixed headshell design. (I use all three arms.)

If you are only interested in an arm with a detachable headshell, I would suggest you also look at the Abis SA-1.2 arm.
    Barry

I'm Nari.

I have a serious soft spot for the IKEDA 407 although they are a bit sample dependant some sound darker and fleshed out and some clean and fast I have owned several over the years also I have had issues with alignment and sticky bearings, even so I love the arm.

The FR66 I own is breath taking truly magical and quite a serious step up from the FR64. Of all the sme3012 arms for me it is still the 3012r truly fabulous this arm sings very fluid of the modern sme arms you want a 312 but aluminium arm tube its far superior to the later s versions, NOS would be best.

I also like the Dynavector 507mk2 I never liked the 505 this arm maybe not the most controlled but has a superb midrange that draws you into the music. If I had to buy new then the sme m12r is a excellent choice lovely to own and use very different to the 3012 a bit more solid and controlled but sacrificing some of the fluidity I have to say it does have a control over lower registers I love. The SAEC arms are superb they tick alot of boxes they have weight and grip but have real air and space. I have heard the new SAEC arm and its stunning.

If I had the budget I would just go and buy Glanz over others no problems with build etc superb no problems with alignment, just stunning in every way very engaging indeed but could be on the pricy side. I have one and for a arm that one can just purchase of the shelf so to speak and with no servicing issues its a sensible choice, lovely weight captivating freedom superb sound stage. The arm is 5k plus so as I said might to be suitable for everyone.

I like the timestep but personally not too keen on using them etc just does not feel as classy for this reason I would prefer the sme m12r.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast