+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Cheap Closed Back Headphones?

I'm Shane.

Default Good Cheap Closed Back Headphones?

Nothing too fancy. Just something durable with a clean neutral sound.

Must also be very easy to drive. This is just to plug straight into my laptop for YouTube, Films, Spotify etc.

Price - £35 - £65.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm tony.

Shane,
    sennhieser hd202....use them for that purpose myself.

Thomman site check out superlux cant remember the closed model 404 methinks...also excellent vfm.

I'm Shane.

Thanks, Tony.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Russell.

I had some Sony closed back headphones, the model number escapes me, but they were very comfortable to wear, and had a good overall sound. The ones I had were $99, I’m not sure what that is in Pounds, but maybe a little over your budget?

I have since replaced those with Shure headphones, made for recording engineers, twice the price, and do sound better. But not twice as good, the Sony’s still hold their ground by comparison. I think the Sony’s were 707’s? But it doesn’t matter, because they’ve since changed the model numbers. Now they are 7000’s? At any rate, I can recommend the Sony headphones, quite pleasant to listen to, and comfortable to wear for extended lengths of time.

Russell

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I had some Sony closed back headphones, the model number escapes me, but they were very comfortable to wear, and had a good overall sound. The ones I had were $99, I’m not sure what that is in Pounds, but maybe a little over your budget?

I have since replaced those with Shure headphones, made for recording engineers, twice the price, and do sound better. But not twice as good, the Sony’s still hold their ground by comparison. I think the Sony’s were 707’s? But it doesn’t matter, because they’ve since changed the model numbers. Now they are 7000’s? At any rate, I can recommend the Sony headphones, quite pleasant to listen to, and comfortable to wear for extended lengths of time.

Russell
    The Sonys were probably MDR-7506. Very good indeed for an inexpensive closed back model. They actually have a large following...

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    The Sonys were probably MDR-7506. Very good indeed for an inexpensive closed back model. They actually have a large following...
    Yes exactly! Good call! I swear my memory is getting so bad lately. But those are exactly the ‘phones I’m talking about. I used them for many years, until the ear cushions wore out. I found some replacement ear cushions on eBay and they are as good as new, and still sound pretty darn good!

I work with a band, and do live sound, and also dabble in a few recordings, and they served me well in those regards. Back when my daughter was coming up, I used them with the stereo at night, and enjoyed them very much. So now that I think, they’ve got to be near 30 years old! And, as I was saying, with new ear cushions they are good as new! I do think I’ve gotten my money’s worth.

The Shure ‘phone’s I’ve got now are better, but then again they cost 3 times as much, so they should be better. But, they are not but 10% or 15% better, which says a lot for the Sony’s.

Russell

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'm not a great lover of headphones, so only have limited experience. The ones that I have used have been Koss ESP6 electrostatic, Koss Pro4AA dynamic, and some Sennheiser headphones (the model number escapes me). In my experience you can't go far wrong with Sennheiser.

For laptop computer duties I now use a pair of Sony MDR-XD150W.

https://cpc.farnell.com/sony/mdr-xd1...0Entertainment

I bought mine in HMV for about £20, and they do the biz.
    Barry

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm not a great lover of headphones, so only have limited experience. The ones that I have used have been Koss ESP6 electrostatic, Koss Pro4AA dynamic, and some Sennheiser headphones (the model number escapes me). In my experience you can't go far wrong with Sennheiser.

For laptop computer duties I now use a pair of Sony MDR-XD150W.

https://cpc.farnell.com/sony/mdr-xd1...0Entertainment

I bought mine in HMV for about £20, and they do the biz.
    How were those Koss electrostatics? I’ve always wanted a pair of electrostatic headphones!

Russell

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    How were those Koss electrostatics? I’ve always wanted a pair of electrostatic headphones!

Russell
    Heavy, sweaty and uncomfortable!
    Barry

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Heavy, sweaty and uncomfortable!
    I guess I’m not surprised, Koss was never “high end”. I’ve read some good reviews for Stax electrostatics, but, they are quite pricy. I came close to buying a set, it came with the external amplifier box, that has a tube in it, special wires, etc,. It was on eBay, and someone outbid me at the last second. I wasn’t too upset by it. They did look large and heavy.

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast