+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LP12 & Denon DL 304

I'm Paul.

I’ve always been intrigued by the LP12. Ive never heard one outside of a show, which isn’t really always the best place to make any judgement. Im not a 100% sure on this but I suspect that many recordings, particularly older ones, do have some level of sibilance or overloading of the mic when the singer lets go and more accurate cartridges and phono stages can pick this up where less detailed equipment can mask it. It can be hard to distinguish this from a worn cart or other issues though.
    ~Paul~

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I suspect that many recordings, particularly older ones, do have some level of sibilance or overloading of the mic when the singer lets go and more accurate cartridges and phono stages can pick this up where less detailed equipment can mask it.
    These echo my thoughts. Listening to the same record on my other TT its still there, but seems a bit more pronounced with better cart/phono stage. I've not been able to detect anything like this level of sibilance from anything else I've thrown at it, so all is well.

The LP12 and Denon now drag out so much detail and music that there is no where for any imperfections to hide. My Quads also will not tolerate badly recorded material the way say my Loth X's would. Completely different setups mind.

Regarding the LP12 getting it setup was by far the best money I've spent on it. It's quite amazing how every little adjustment affects the harmony of the entire turntable. Hence why unless someone's been tinkering with it at a show for an hour at least (after its travels), its unlikely it would have sounded anywhere near its best. When it's setup properly though you'll know (hear) it.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Thanks Rich, it was the old man's prior to my ownership and I thought it deserved a bit of love. He was a bit skeptical regarding the "upgrades" I've carried out but his fears will be laid to rest when he hears it for 5 seconds!

Cheers
    Fantastic! That's a great piece of kit to have inherited from your Dad, I'm sure he'll be very happy with the upgrades.

From what I know of Peter, your deck couldn't have been in better hands.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm alan.

have a 304 without a tip wonder if its worth getting a quote to fix it ??

I'm Karl.

Looking good Chris, and as the guys have said, Peter is the dog danglies so im sure it sounds fantastic too. Did you have a listen to any of the other Lp12 ‘s he has there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Martin.

Great looking LP12 you have there and set up by Peter.................can't get better than that.
    If you look on the Cymbiosis website you should find VERY comprehensive details of how to rebuild/set up the LP12. Makes interesting reading should you ever need it
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_g View Post
    have a 304 without a tip wonder if its worth getting a quote to fix it ??
    I'm now probably quite bias . . . but yeah. I'm probably around 50 hours now and it has improved from the 10 hour mark.

No attention drawn to it except to say its very musical. A grey-vanilla term to use I know but its not warm/bright/dull/analytical/rich etc in my setup.

Excellent match with the Linn of course.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Looking good Chris, and as the guys have said, Peter is the dog danglies so im sure it sounds fantastic too. Did you have a listen to any of the other Lp12 ‘s he has there?

Unfortunately I did not get to listen to much else . . . actually make that fortunately. Mine was by far the cheapest deck there and sounding superb playing some Chris Jones stuff (I think).

I know the upgrade path is steep from here, won't be ruling anything out though.
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Chris.

Anything playing through their Kudos Titan 808's on anything half decent is going to be pretty special though.

They say you should spend the largest proportion of your outlay on the speakers. They're not wrong.

I'm Karl.

Sounds like you had a lucky escape then. It coulda been an expensive trip for you .

I agree with the speaker argument to some extent too. It was probably my biggest single upgrade going from my Q’s to Spendors. Huge jump in sound quality. All the other upgrades have been smaller and incremental but the speakers blew my mind.

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast