+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LP12 & Denon DL 304

I'm Chris.

Are your Croft's sorted now Karl??
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Are your Croft's sorted now Karl??
    Yes all sorted thanks chris, it was a failed regulator that heats the filament so not too hard on the wallet. Still enjoying the new cart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Yes all sorted thanks chris, it was a failed regulator that heats the filament so not too hard on the wallet. Still enjoying the new cart?

Yup, I'm actually running it in a different system as my current main rig is not too well . . .

Its partnered with a single input 300b parallel configured amp and some Loth X horn speakers. Its a refreshing little change from KT88's and Quads.

Glad yours is sorted, maybe one day we'll both have our systems sorted at the same time?!?! Even if its just for 5 minutes!
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Karl.

Oh no what’s happened now?

These bloody hifi’s are a pain the arse arent they . We spend small fortunes on them and half the time they are either broken or were not happy with them .

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Chris.

Well . . . swapped my aging pair of Quad 63's with a fading treble panel for a pair of recently refurbished and much newer ones. Fully tested them at the sellers house and they were silent and sounding great. Drove like Miss Daisy with them wrapped up in a duvet to transport them home . . . you can probably tell where this is going.

Turned them on and one has a rattle on resonant bass notes and a slight mains hum and the other one has a ticking bass panel.

I literally have never had any problems transporting them (and less carefully) in the past.

Unfortunately the issues are audible from my listening position so completely ruins my listening experience!!!

Luckily I think the issue (rattling on bass notes) is the dust membrane needing re-stretching which can be done with a heat gun and the ticking panel might improve after a few days of "settling in" and acclimatising again after de-charging.

I had a bloomin lovely sounding system for a couple of months and was really enjoying it. But its like its always on a bloody knife edge, what with all tubes and electrostats its always going to be maintenance and potentially things going wrong all the time.

That's before I even get started on TT's and grounding issues . . . .

Wonder why we bother sometimes . . . (Well I do know why we bother but as you say, PITA!)

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Well . . . swapped my aging pair of Quad 63's with a fading treble panel for a pair of recently refurbished and much newer ones. Fully tested them at the sellers house and they were silent and sounding great. Drove like Miss Daisy with them wrapped up in a duvet to transport them home . . . you can probably tell where this is going.

Turned them on and one has a rattle on resonant bass notes and a slight mains hum and the other one has a ticking bass panel.

I literally have never had any problems transporting them (and less carefully) in the past.

Unfortunately the issues are audible from my listening position so completely ruins my listening experience!!!

Luckily I think the issue (rattling on bass notes) is the dust membrane needing re-stretching which can be done with a heat gun and the ticking panel might improve after a few days of "settling in" and acclimatising again after de-charging.

I had a bloomin lovely sounding system for a couple of months and was really enjoying it. But its like its always on a bloody knife edge, what with all tubes and electrostats its always going to be maintenance and potentially things going wrong all the time.

That's before I even get started on TT's and grounding issues . . . .

Wonder why we bother sometimes . . . (Well I do know why we bother but as you say, PITA!)
    Ah mate what a pain in the arse!! Do you think they were knocked about on route home or a dodgy restoration job?

Any luck in fixing any of the issues yet?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Ah mate what a pain in the arse!! Do you think they were knocked about on route home or a dodgy restoration job?

Any luck in fixing any of the issues yet?

Must have happened on route as the seller, lets just say would have no need to "get rid" of or do a rushed job on restoring. He probably had 30k's worth in one room. A big dedicated listening room slightly larger than the downstairs of my house . . . . plus he was a genuine honest guy to boot and has since offered to help me fix them, which he had no obligation to do.

Just bad luck as I was super careful with them.

Luckily with some pounding bass tracks run through them the rattling does seem to have subsided. I think it is a dust membrane which apparently, when it goes, does a pretty good impression of an angry bee on bass notes. It's no longer audible from my listening position, which is nice.

Additionally the other speaker has "calmed" slightly too. Ticking is less audible and above all the music sounds as it should. That's the main thing.

As I'm moving soon I'll get them into their new home and then set about fixing them properly unless they magically heal after another move . . . sounds stupid but this has actually happened to me before . . . .

Cheers Karl.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123