+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LP12 & Denon DL 304

I'm Chris.

Default LP12 & Denon DL 304

A few pics of my freshly re-tipped DL 304 riding in my freshly setup LP12.

Its just had a nude elliptical stylus put on it. Deck is sitting on a little shelf I made from double ply that is very rigid but light (as recommended for LP12's)

Arm is dead flat on 180g vinyl but I'm just wondering if the stylus looks a little acute to the record there?

It's only got a couple of hours on it so I'm thinking it might break in and drop a tad?

Sounding very good bar a bit of simbilance which I'm hoping will disappear with a few more hours.

IMAG1844.jpg

IMAG1846.jpg

I'm Chris.

I'm Rich.

I really do like the look of an LP12. I can't help with your question, but I can pay your great looking deck a compliment

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Gary.

I would shorten those bolts, they could get very close to the record surface, they also add weight. What are they made from?

Try dropping the tail a little which may help with the sibilance, I assume you have all the other settings VTA, bias etc done?

Is the sibilance more prevalent on inner grooves?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    A few pics of my freshly re-tipped DL 304 riding in my freshly setup LP12.

Its just had a nude elliptical stylus put on it. Deck is sitting on a little shelf I made from double ply that is very rigid but light (as recommended for LP12's)

Arm is dead flat on 180g vinyl but I'm just wondering if the stylus looks a little acute to the record there?

It's only got a couple of hours on it so I'm thinking it might break in and drop a tad?

Sounding very good bar a bit of simbilance which I'm hoping will disappear with a few more hours.

IMAG1844.jpg

IMAG1846.jpg
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Russell.

Default LP12 & Denon DL 304

Judging from that first photo, the needle appears to be riding in the groove about right. Just slightly forward of 90 degrees. Of course this can be different for different manufacturers, but from some reading I’ve done in the past, it was suggested that the SRA (stylus Rake Angle) should be around 93 degrees, and the Sumiko cartridge I own says right in the paper work the same thing.

Plus, the bottom of the cartridge body looks parallel to the record surface, a good starting point, as most of the time that’s what the makers are going for.

But as always, the best test is how it sounds! If it sounds right, it probably is. Adjust the VTA, at some point it should pop into focus.

Russell

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I would shorten those bolts, they could get very close to the record surface, they also add weight. What are they made from?

Try dropping the tail a little which may help with the sibilance, I assume you have all the other settings VTA, bias etc done?

Is the sibilance more prevalent on inner grooves?

Gary
    I was looking at the screw end too. Probably not a problem, but looking at it makes me nervous.

Russell

I'm Chris.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

After a prolonged listening session this evening I can confirm all is well. More than well in fact, it's breaking in and it's just wonderful to hear.

It's one of my favourite experiences of hi-fi ownership. Listening to a piece of equipment, be it tubes or a new cartridge, coming on song.

The sibilance was only apparent in what turned out to be a bad pressing of Dire Straits "Dire Straits". I'm much more used to the remastered digital version where obviously the more severe sibilant parts have been dealt with. I tried it on another TT with a perfectly aligned AT440mlb which deals with sibilance better than most being an ML stylus, it was still there so definitely the pressing.

Everything else I'm playing on it sounds really nice.

It was setup last week by Peter at Cymbiosis including fitting the cartridge and providing the bolts so I'm not gonna mess with that. They do seem a little long but the bottom of the cart is still lower than the bolts. Agreed they do look long though.

The cart is relatively light too so a little extra mass should be fine, the Ittok likes a little weight IME.

As you say Russell, if it sounds good, it should be.

Comparing it to a Benz Micro ACE (low output) I had on a Clearaudio Concept, I would say this is more musical and weighty. Probably not as detailed though and soundstage is not quite as big.... Yet. Here's hoping things improve even more as its only around 10 hours, but if it doesn't I'm happy anyway!

Cheers guys.

Chris

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by stairpost View Post
    I really do like the look of an LP12. I can't help with your question, but I can pay your great looking deck a compliment
    Thanks Rich, it was the old man's prior to my ownership and I thought it deserved a bit of love. He was a bit skeptical regarding the "upgrades" I've carried out but his fears will be laid to rest when he hears it for 5 seconds!

Cheers
    Last edited by Opti-cal; 28-06-2019 at 12:35.

I'm David.

I don't believe Cymbiosis would make a careless mistake when setting up your cartridge, and if your happy with the sound no worries. He's always on the end of the telephone should the need arise.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    I don't believe Cymbiosis would make a careless mistake when setting up your cartridge, and if your happy with the sound no worries. He's always on the end of the telephone should the need arise.
    They wouldn't, Peter is the definition of professional and it was a genuine privilege to watch him work. As I say I believe any sibilance was present on the record I was playing as confirmed by my other TT.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast