+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jonas Brothers - Happiness Begins

I'm Shaun.

Default Jonas Brothers - Happiness Begins

I bought this on CD having listened to Zoe Ball's breakfast show and the song 'Sucker'; how appropriate

Musically, it sounds to me like a crossover of Darius and Boyzone but with some really good happy party tunes. It is a bit like the 70's cheese pop Barry Blue kind of thing that the kids will adore. Great for MP3 party fun if that is your kind of thing which for a lot of people, it is.

Sound quality wise it starts OK but by track 11 it is seriously dire. The chorus of the song, yes it has one, seems to sink into a confused mess of sloppy, mushy noise that has no place on hi-fi. The upper midrange is over emphasised giving it a tubey, megaphone kind of sound that is quite unpleasant and the autotune is so obvious on the early tracks. I'm guessing that the whole backing track is provided by a DAW making the whole concept nothing much more than glorified Karaoke but I certainly could be wrong, however, there is a level of jollity about this album that is good. No, It is no match for the Lightning Seeds 'Jollification' but then few are.

Not bad really but not for real hi-fi.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Well the kids love "Sucker" when it comes on the radio and it's in our "Summer 2019" Spotify playlist, along with a lot of other current pop, and I must confess I don't mind it. Just checked Tidal and "Happiness Begins" is on at "Master Quality" which given your review of the sound quality could be ironic! Giving it a "spin" now. Will let you know what I think at the end!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread