+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a watch sale issue needed.

I'm alan.

Rich, the guy bought it and broke it.

End of.

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Waterproof to 30 metres means it is splash proof, not to be immersed in water.
    Exactly right. Washing any watch in hot soapy water strikes me as daft anyway, he's probably ruined it.

I'm Rich.

Thanks for all the input, it's much appreciated.

I am going to try to help if I can by contacting the seller I purchased it from, but if that proves fruitless I shall accept no further responsibility. As has been said, he could have done anything to it. I won't entertain the idea of providing a refund.

He was very much on the favourable side of a past deal, in which on reflection I regretted letting a small collection go for less that I would have liked. I'm not in any way saying I'm glad that this has happened, far from it, but that's the nature of it, all sales are final.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Rich.

Waterproof to 30 metres means it is splash proof, not to be immersed in water. I think your buyer did not understand this and has immersed in water, not your fault, lots of info on this if you Google it.

The watch has been compromised by the buyers action, I wouldn't accept any responsiblity, any value in the watch has been destroyed.

Gary
    That's my understanding too, I would have considered it splash proof. The buyer is actually an avid watch fan and has quite a collection. So I'm surprised and slightly suspicious about the damage to be honest.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Mike.

Probably dropped it in the sink

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by stairpost View Post
    Thanks for all the input, it's much appreciated.

I am going to try to help if I can by contacting the seller I purchased it from, but if that proves fruitless I shall accept no further responsibility. As has been said, he could have done anything to it. I won't entertain the idea of providing a refund.

He was very much on the favourable side of a past deal, in which on reflection I regretted letting a small collection go for less that I would have liked. I'm not in any way saying I'm glad that this has happened, far from it, but that's the nature of it, all sales are final.
    He sounds like a chancer to me. 100% his own fault. Bloody cheeky to ask for a refund in my opinion, you shouldn't even be asking yourself, just shows the moral difference between you.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Edward.

It was a private sale and you made no representations so Caveat Emptor.

However if there is a guarantee of some sort and it is transferable then the buyer should simply get in touch with the guarantor.

Making yourself a postbox between the owner and the guarantor will simply result in frustration on your part.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Martin.

'Waterproof to 30 meters' should mean just that. If it was just splashproof or 'water resistant' then that's what they'd say. So you should be able to drop it in a sink full of water with no issues.

Legally he has no comeback, he bought it in person and no incorrect claims were made by the seller so I believe caveat emptor applies.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

montesquieu Guest

Waterproof to 30 metres means it is splash proof, not to be immersed in water. I think your buyer did not understand this and has immersed in water, not your fault, lots of info on this if you Google it.

The watch has been compromised by the buyers action, I wouldn't accept any responsiblity, any value in the watch has been destroyed.

Gary
    This. Designation of 30m means it pressure tests to 30m in an air tank. Soap can compromise rubber seals lowering their effectiveness. The buyer may be a nice chap as you say but he's either completely ignorant about what 30m means, or he is taking the proverbial. Let him take this question to any watch forum and ask, he'll get this same answer.

In any case a vintage watch like this carries no guarantee about the performance of the seals and anyone who professed to be a watch collector would know this.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    'Waterproof to 30 meters' should mean just that. If it was just splashproof or 'water resistant' then that's what they'd say. So you should be able to drop it in a sink full of water with no issues.
    Rated 30m water resistance does not equal 'waterproof to 30 meters'. You don't drop it in the sink or use it in the shower, that's a misunderstanding.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    This. Designation of 30m means it pressure tests to 30m in an air tank. Soap can compromise rubber seals lowering their effectiveness. The buyer may be a nice chap as you say but he's either completely ignorant about what 30m means, or he is taking the proverbial. Let him take this question to any watch forum and ask, he'll get this same answer.

In any case a vintage watch like this carries no guarantee about the performance of the seals and anyone who professed to be a watch collector would know this.

Rated 30m water resistance does not equal 'waterproof to 30 meters'. You don't drop it in the sink or use it in the shower, that's a misunderstanding.
    Fair enough, what I know about watches could be written on a postage stamp.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast