+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Opinions on a watch sale issue needed.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    Any 'vintage' watch must be pressure tested and properly maintained for the waterproof rating to be valid.

When you sell a secondhand watch it's prudent to explicitly exclude any guarantees as to waterproofness.
    I shall certainly be doing so from now on. Although, as that was the last of my watch clear out, it will be a long time before I have another for sale.

Fortunately, I made no mention of it at all, and after a bit of research it seems in making no claims about it, I'm not liable for it failing.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Martin.

For me its a grey area that needs tightening up on. Ive seen watches rated at 100m that I would not dip in the sink, never mind swim in.

I think they have to be proper divers watches rated as 200m with a deep sea construction

Ive just sold a couple of Sekonda Xpose watches that have swimming advertised on the box. Having looked at them I would not rate them as swimming watches....flimsy push crown, plastic body and rudimentary rubber seal on a snap back. I would have tried them but they were too bulky for my wrist and I didnt lose money on them

At £15 the pair I told the buyer he could try them. I offered no guarantee and sekonda had already done the advertising

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    For me its a grey area that needs tightening up on. Ive seen watches rated at 100m that I would not dip in the sink, never mind swim in.

I think they have to be proper divers watches rated as 200m with a deep sea construction
    Common sense should play a big part. I wore the watch daily for the 3 months I owned it and had no issues at all, the new owner had it for 3 days when he damaged it. The design and construction of the watch did not in any way lead me to think I could safely wear it when at risk of water damage.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by stairpost View Post
    Common sense should play a big part. I wore the watch daily for the 3 months I owned it and had no issues at all, the new owner had it for 3 days when he damaged it. The design and construction of the watch did not in any way lead me to think I could safely wear it when at risk of water damage.
    Yeah...no comebacks....first question I'd ask if buying a watch of this type..Is it watertight?...I recently bought a used Rotary watch with a damaged crystal, which I had replaced for a new one. They also replaced the seal and the watch company pressure tested the watch too and said it was fine...I still would not immerse it in water, never mind go for a swim wearing it...it doesn't state a depth the watch can go too...it is just a Dolphin Standard Rotary..
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Gary.

What's the old saying?

You get what you pay for?

My £50 Gshock gets worn in the shower, swimming, snorkeling, washed in soapy water etc and 5 years on it works perfectly.
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234