+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Jerry's Hifi Blog - part the 2nd

I'm Brian.

I was looking at the piccies Jerry and thought ...those speakers look familiar ...can't be , and lo and behold I was wrong

Looking good mate

I heard the Audiobyte DAC at a friend's place yonks ago , but he was using it in a headphone rig . Sounded excellent .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Dan.

Looking fab�������� see you soon.����
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm gone.

New headphones - KEF M500, for the first time a tolerably comfortable pair of 'on ears', only got them yesterday but very impressed so far. Very full sounding with excellent clarity and fast dynamics.

Also had an impressive set of B&O A8 'ear hook' headphones for a week or so. A bit of a bugger to get them seated right, but there's a knack to it. Very good sound.

I'm gone.

I've decided that life gets boring when you have too many 'destination' components.
    The fun is in the journey.
    So my destination Marantz amp is having a bit of a rest.

The current setup of electronics looks like this ...

A Hegel H90 integrated amp has joined the party chez Jerry.
    A bit of a bonkers review, which I have to say did pique my interest, here http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/heg...ted-amplifier/

It's got a DAC on board, but my Audiobyte sounds that important little bit better.
    I've had it 5 days or so now and it is settling in nicely.
    I don't think anyone would mistake the sound for an el84 valve amp - it has a rather stark and unromantic realism in the higher frequencies that takes few prisoners. But it has its own charms.

It has a vice like grip over the speakers - a mere 60wpc, but the high current delivery capability rather makes that sound a substantial underestimate.

It's fun to be amp-swapping again.

I'm gone.

I've sorted the Hegel H90 amp's somewhat exuberant top end, it was getting a bit annoying. Some VdH Thunderline cables between DAC and amp have hit the Synergy button.
    It's hugely enjoyable all round now.
    Not that anyone seems interested.
    ... I wonder what an H190 sounds like.

And here for your delectation is a seriously cute, very good sounding and ridiculously cheap headphone amp.

A Sabaj PHA3. Analog inputs only.
    £40 from Amazon.
    That'll do.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I've sorted the Hegel H90 amp's somewhat exuberant top end, it was getting a bit annoying. Some VdH Thunderline cables between DAC and amp have hit the Synergy button.
    Decent cables the Thunderline. I have a couple of short sets. Funny how cables can upset or improve the sound balance. And some still insist they make no difference.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

I once tried a Hegel 12 Dac in my second system in the livingroom, an AVC6M all-in-one system, and the sound was way too clinical into Amphion 3L speakers. So not a good idea. Good to know that carefully matched cables can make a difference.

I love the idea of a final personal hifi system to end all personal hifi systems but I am with you in the assessment that the journey is the most interesting part. In that respect it is similar to the journey of life. We all know where that journey takes us.
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    It's hugely enjoyable all round now.
    Not that anyone seems interested.
    ... I wonder what an H190 sounds like.

And here for your delectation is a seriously cute, very good sounding and ridiculously cheap headphone amp.

A Sabaj PHA3. Analog inputs only.
    £40 from Amazon.
    That'll do.
    Those cheap valve headphone amps are good fun as single input preamps. Just connect the headphone output to your solid state power amp to add a bit of valve magic.

I wouldn't do it in a serious system but with some small monitors it can work far better than you'd expect.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewind View Post
    I once tried a Hegel 12 Dac in my second system in the livingroom, an AVC6M all-in-one system, and the sound was way too clinical into Amphion 3L speakers. So not a good idea.
    Ah, interesting.

I'd been curious about Hegel amps for a while, then a few weeks ago I paid a visit to a forum friend who had a Hegel 360 amp. I had taken my Marantz HD-AMP1 along, and whilst the differences weren't vast, the Hegel definitely had its head in front in some ways.
    Interestingly, he had VdH cables installed! - aka Bland and Dull ... well, I guess it's all about synergy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewind View Post
    I love the idea of a final personal hifi system to end all personal hifi systems but I am with you in the assessment that the journey is the most interesting part. In that respect it is similar to the journey of life. We all know where that journey takes us.
    Indeed.
    I'm in no rush to get to my final destination, in life or in my system!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Those cheap valve headphone amps are good fun as single input preamps. Just connect the headphone output to your solid state power amp to add a bit of valve magic.

I wouldn't do it in a serious system but with some small monitors it can work far better than you'd expect.
    Interesting, and I had thought of trying that.

I also have another bit of valve goodness heading my way - should be here tomorrow.
    Watch this space.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast