+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerry's Hifi Blog - part the 2nd

I'm gone.

Default Jerry's Hifi Blog - part the 2nd

I was getting a bit confused with two folks posting about their own systems on a single blog thread, so I thought I'd leave Justin to it and move over to a separate space.

Anyone who wishes to catch up on the history of my system can find extensive coverage starting back in 2008 here.

To summarise the position since 2010, my system has focussed on my MBL 116f speakers. My ideal speaker, really. Omni-directional carbon fibre petals arranged in a tangerine-like pattern upwards of 600Hz or so, side firing conventional drivers 650Hz downwards. In their 10th year now and I remain a happy bunny with them. Previously, speakers had generally been swapped out every few months.

The rest of the system comes and goes and is subject to change without notice.

Analog went the way of the dinosaur a few years ago (after dumping and re-starting with vinyl 4 or 5 times I have finally managed to ditch it for good. Honest.)

For my source, I stream from the internet these days, I have subs to both TIDAL Hifi and Spotify Premium atm.

Current DAC is a Benchmark DAC1 HDR. Seen here atop my fairly recently departed Trigon monoblocks.

There is a bit of a competition at the moment amp-wise between a Crayon CFA-1 28wpc and a Krell 400xi 200wpc, both integrated amps.

The Crayon does subtle detail and 3D imaging par excellence, the Krell comes a reasonably close second in these but adds seemingly limitless dynamics and effortless power.
    I'm keeping both for now, with the Krell undergoing a few days of continuous warm-up to see what it really can deliver in terms of finesse.

Cables - DNM Resolution speaker cables. RS Audio Duet interconnects (a curious silver/palladium hybrid) with the Krell and Black Cat Neo Morpheus with the Crayon. Mains cables are Belden 19364 all round. USB signal direct from my laptop handled by Wireworld Starlight.

I'm gone.

As well as the MBLs in my main system, I also have a pair of Podium 0.5 panel speakers.
    After getting on for 10 years with the MBLs I find that a break of a few days now and then works well to refresh the synapses a little.

A Jamo SUB200 subwoofer adds a little needed substance to the lower octaves.

The ideal amp for these seems to be a little Taiwanese el84 valve integrated that came my way a couple of years ago.
    They work wonderfully well together.

I'm gone.

A 3rd system, some miles away, has the rather unusual but enjoyable Infinity Cascade 9 speakers, fed by one of the TPA3116 class D t-amps favoured by Geoff (walpurgis), and an Audiolab MDAC. Once again all is usually fed by internet streaming.

A Jamo SUB200 features here as well.

Last edited by jandl100; 24-06-2019 at 19:52.

I'm Grant.

So a new solo thread Jerry.

Some great gear there
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Looking good Jerry. The box swapping does seem to have slowed down, maybe not to a trickle, but not the torrent it once was!

I'm amazed you came over to the "Dark Side" with streaming. Did you keep all your vinyl? I hardly ever play records these days, but I couldn't part with my collection...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm gone.

Hi Alex
    Nope, all LPs sold. No going back now. Yay.

I'm alan.

The horror! The horror!

I'm Justin.

I don't want your second hand thread (tongue out emoticon).

Besides you invited me over.

But I know, I know - it is tough to live alongside obvious superiority.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Hi Alex
    Nope, all LPs sold. No going back now. Yay.

Well, indeed, no going back now! Glad you're enjoying file based audio.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm gone.

I recently decided that my MBLs, now in their 10th year, deserved a bit of a treat. A new pair of speaker platforms.

Rather than pay audiophile prices I looked at what the pro market had to offer, and that led me to Auralex speaker platforms, specifically their Propad XL, which just happens to be the right size.
    They're a 3 layer arrangement - foam/MDF/rubber and the mounted speaker wobbles around a bit when gently prodded. -- and I placed a sheet of cardboard underneath to allow them to be slid around without too much hassle (how's that for thinking ahead!).

I wasn't looking forward to putting the 45Kg speakers on to them, but it turned out to be not much bother at all.

Really pleased, obvious improvement immediately compared to the granite slabs they had previously stood on.
    I thought the sound was nicely detached from the speakers before. Well, this shows that there is always room for improvement!
    And everything is more vivid and present.
    And the soundstage / imaging. Woof!

Happy 10th Year, to my MBLs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast