+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerry's Hifi Blog - part the 2nd

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Never tried DNM. But I'd need 7.5m
    On current evidence and theorising, that doesn't seem to be recommended!

I also tried the current DNM interconnects and was very disappointed. The speaker cables, though, at least in short runs

Whilst we're on DACs, before the Metrum turned up I had been so impressed by the previously mentioned Yulong DA8 that I invested in a Yulong DA ART Aquila.

(it has an AK4497 chip vs a Sabre in the DA8).

Quite a similar sound, actually. A bit firmer, more solid sounding, even better staging than the excellent DA8.
    I'll be keeping both for now, I think.
    Build quality impresses on both - really nicely put together!
    Aquila is in use as a headphone amp.

Tbh there isn't a huge gulf between the Metrum and the Yulongs. I'll swap back sometime soon for a comparison.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I'm using 2m runs.

I'm sure we are listening to very different music with very different demands and requirements.
    Transparency and detail, soundstaging and image focus, micro dynamics not macro dynamics, are the name of the game for me.
    I also was using 2m run of DNM resolution that i self terminated , it outperformed multi-strand OCC cable that retailed at 9 times the price. I found it improved tone from top to bottom and also agree with Jerry’s comments on the soundstage.

I’ve since moved on to Colin Wonfor’s LS25 which i found was like the DNM resolution but even better across the board.

One thing that may be critical to the DNM performance is that both mine and Jerry’s amps are zero feedback designs. Dennis Morecroft recommends high frequency termination networks for speaker cables used on amps that employ feedback. These add a significant cost to the speaker cable though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

The things one learns on here! No plug + play then.
    Chris.

I'm Lawrence.

Mmm, no - it really was my itty bitty mini DAC that MC was raving about ....

https://www.hificritic.com/store/p88...um_Octave.html
    I bought a quad by accident thinking it was an octave as the power supply said octave on it like yours. When I realised my mistake I sold it and bought an octave. They both said mini DAC on the front, very confusing.

The only way I've found to tell the difference is the depth of the box. If you like, take a photo from above and I can confirm if it's an octave.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm gone.

Ah, interesting.
    I have to confess that I didn't even know there was a Metrum Quad DAC!

There are size measurements in the Hifi Critic Octave review and mine is 2cm shorter than the 24cm quoted in the review, so I guess mine is a Quad?
    No wonder it sounds crap!
    The PSU box is the same 22cm depth - so they made 2 sizes of Octave PSUs? Weird.

The eBay seller thought it was a pukka Octave - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metrum-Ac...72.m2749.l2649

I'm fine with it, it sounds great. Although I am now curious!
    I've done a bit of a Google search and haven't turned up any Quad/Octave sq comparisons although there are some very positive words about the Quad. What are the differences that you heard, Lawrence?
    Last edited by jandl100; 15-08-2019 at 06:56.

I'm Edward.

There is a discussion on the WAM about the quad, octave and hex.

see:

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/7...ctave-and-hex/

I have the hex and love it - natural sounding, clean, detailed, fast and thoroughly engaging. Tried it with normal usb and spdif. Different in character, spdif slightly more detailed. But massive improvement came when I used a dedicated paul pang usb card (powered with a linear psu) feeding the dac - more of everything and even cleaner sound - but still with that natural valve like sound.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm gone.

Thanks for the Wam link, Edward - I don't know why that didn't come up on the Google search.

So, same sort of sound, but you get closer to the concert hall platform as you go up the scale.
    Must admit that my alleged-Quad DAC sounds very good, and as I age my taste in presentation does seem to be getting more laidback and my seating preference is getting to be a little further away from the performers!

I'm Martin.

Ah, interesting - please do let me know how you get on with them.
    I've not tried the latest version but some earlier BRs were a definite step back for me. They just seemed to smooth things over.

I'm not really a big footer person, but I'm using these boingy spring things atm and they are really excellent! The whole presentation becomes more vivid and alive ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pcs-CD-P...72.m2749.l2649

Ok so I had these 4 singles, 3 weeks but we were going away so I lent them to a friend and I’ve now had them in my system 5 days. I placed them under my isotek sigmas g2 mains conditioner. Where I used to have 3 double stacked black ravioli mk 1 and small oak cones.
    4 of the mk 1 are now under my amps feet with small oak cones. The other 2 i put between my speaker binding posts.

Day 1 , I could detect a slightly lower noise floor , more detail very slight improvement to soundstage. However the bass was seriously lacking. If I used a bass boosting voicing on my amp it was fine so i think the effect was like 2 to 3 dB loss in bass frequencies.

Day 3 all the bass is back and l think its cleaner (marginally). Bass boost voicing removed.

Day 5 and I think overall its a subtle but worthwhile improvement for the £100 I paid.Slightly lower noise floor, improved soundstage and cleaner bass are what I’ve noticed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Ah, interesting.
    I have to confess that I didn't even know there was a Metrum Quad DAC!

There are size measurements in the Hifi Critic Octave review and mine is 2cm shorter than the 24cm quoted in the review, so I guess mine is a Quad?
    No wonder it sounds crap!
    The PSU box is the same 22cm depth - so they made 2 sizes of Octave PSUs? Weird.

The eBay seller thought it was a pukka Octave - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metrum-Ac...72.m2749.l2649

I'm fine with it, it sounds great. Although I am now curious!
    I've done a bit of a Google search and haven't turned up any Quad/Octave sq comparisons although there are some very positive words about the Quad. What are the differences that you heard, Lawrence?
    Looking at the pics Jerry I'm pretty sure that's an octave the depth of the quad was noticeably shorter relative to the width. 24cm might include the switch at the front

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

There's a whole 'can of worms' about 'subtle differences' in sound. There are so many facets.
    Just the fact that you KNOW you've changed something can affect you. Also, you are concentrating more.
    Let alone time iof day, what you ate, how you feel (did you get annoyed by anything etc.?)
    Chris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast