+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerry's Hifi Blog - part the 2nd

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Back to system supports.
    WAAAAY back, I recall an artcle in a magazine, using a bicycle inner tube between two pieces of wood being tried out (successfully!)
    Pre Max Townshend even.
    If folk are bothered about valve microphony, I guess the answer is.....to have the equipment in a different room to the speakers, especially if you listen at high volume?
    I started off with granite chopping board over minimally inflated wheel barrow inner tube for amp and CD player. Was noticeable audible difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm gone.

New DAC.
    Quite a fuss made of these back in the day - especially by Martin Colloms in Hifi Critic who called it a game changer and gave it a ludicrously high score for sq!

Metrum Acoustics Mini with Octave PSU - a NOS (non over sampling) DAC from 2011.
    Cutely small (but not tiny).
    Easy on the ear as it has an extended but slightly relaxed treble. Loads of detail and the 3D focussed soundstage impresses. Free flowing and expansive dynamics, aided and abetted by the aforementioned slight treble smoothness to avoid any splashiness.
    Bass is very powerful, controlled and impactful - a few "Whoa!!" moments there!
    It is a very good sounding DAC. I can't really fault it tbh, it just sounds very enjoyable - forget the gear, what shall I play next?

Bit of a pain that it doesn't have a headphone socket.
    No valves, so Justin wouldn't like it.

I'm Brian.

That looks interesting Jerry . Not cheap though , it seems .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm gone.

£360 delivered - very good value imo.

I'm Brian.

Ah..that's a good deal
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Edward.

There is something that Metrum do that is 'just right'. I have a different model but like you find the sound very natural and as you say free flowing. Timing, attack and decay are impeccable. The amount of detail the Metrum is able to convey is astonishing.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Deleted.

I’m really surprised you are enjoying your DNM speaker cable Jerry as, in the past, I have found it to be blooming awful stuff with heavily curtailed bass and dynamic.
    Account Deleted

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I’m really surprised you are enjoying your DNM speaker cable Jerry as, in the past, I have found it to be blooming awful stuff with heavily curtailed bass and dynamic.
    It's superb to my ears.
    Really open and detailed, fast and impactful.
    Can't fault it!

Others here have recently tried it and come to the same kind of conclusion, I think.

I'm gone.

... I have gone back to the Epiphany Atratus 3, though.
    Sometimes I change things and kind of lose sight of where I've already been - revisited, the At3 is as remarkable as when I first heard it!

I'm Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    New DAC.
    Quite a fuss made of these back in the day - especially by Martin Colloms in Hifi Critic who called it a game changer and gave it a ludicrously high score for sq!

Metrum Acoustics Mini with Octave PSU - a NOS (non over sampling) DAC from 2011.
    Cutely small (but not tiny).
    Easy on the ear as it has an extended but slightly relaxed treble. Loads of detail and the 3D focussed soundstage impresses. Free flowing and expansive dynamics, aided and abetted by the aforementioned slight treble smoothness to avoid any splashiness.
    Bass is very powerful, controlled and impactful - a few "Whoa!!" moments there!
    It is a very good sounding DAC. I can't really fault it tbh, it just sounds very enjoyable - forget the gear, what shall I play next?

Bit of a pain that it doesn't have a headphone socket.
    No valves, so Justin wouldn't like it.

I've always preferred a good NOS DAC and had a Metrum Octave some years back when they first came out. I really liked the soundstage and mids but found the LF and HF too rolled off to be a long term keeper. Really impressive when you first hear it though as it has none of that typical digital hardness.

Have you heard a DDDAC because they do all the things that the Metrum can do and more. The latest mods and tricked out PSUs for the DDDAC mean that to my ears it competes and sounds better than the very best DACs out there at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast