+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Raspberry Pi 4 Released

I'm Neil.

The Pi 4 does look like the first one that could be an acceptable budget PC or laptop replacement though. A lot more power under the hood.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Pavel.

I’m not interested in upgrading my current streaming setup, but I’m looking forward to retiring one of my home servers and replacing it with a Raspberry Pi 4!

I'm Neil.

Default Raspberry Pi 4 Released

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    ^^^^ This, in fact given the reports on underclocking of the 3b there’s an argument an underclocked 2b has the potential to be better still...
    Oh man... the temptation of free tweaks. I think the 2B is a mite underpowered, especially as I’ve found my 3B sluggish with Moode sometimes, so switched to DietPi.

I’ll give it a whirl, but blind. The onboard regs would be stressed less, also potentially less EMI from the SMPS due to lower power draw. Can’t see it making a difference except for loss of responsiveness and perhaps increased reliability.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Andrew.

Well have now been running LMS via Max2play for about two weeks or so and I have to say the Pi4 has performed flawlessly . No buffering or CPU throttling . Sound and connection right around the house and in to all my players has been rock solid .

Response times are much improved as are the speeds to update LMS to nightly 7.9.2 versions . I am very impressed with the quality and solidity the Pi4 brings . I would now certainly say that the user experience is as good as many built and very much more expensive streamers .

I have used all the versions of the Pi over many years and liked all of them and seriously marvelled at the price compared to performance. However although I recomended them many times I always felt I had to make any potential user aware of the speed of response which was behind most streamers on the market. With the Pi4 I do not have any such doubts , it is quick and smooth and feels like a fully professional product in user response. Given that the Max2play download is still a beta version the lack of any issues or dramas is for very impressive I think Heiner has done a great job .

No doubt there will be more to get out of this version and given time the really experienced and talented sould that understand both the hardware and software will wring out even more performance . I will certainly keep my eye on progress and add updates when needed ,but this is more tahn good enough now to be a very impressive little unit that just quietly unseen gets on with letting me hear what i want when I want where I want .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234