+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi 4 Released

I'm Andrew.

If any of you have already recieved your Pi 4 please be aware that there is a known issue of overheating of the unit when it is working hard . Idle temperature is around 66 Deg and throttling of the CPU occurs around 80 Deg plus .

There is a firmware update due in the next few days which will lower the idling temperature and offer a little more head room but suspect either a fan or heat sink may be need if you are pushing the Pi 4 .

I'm Andrew.

In case you have not seen Max2play - www.max2play.com have announced a Beta download for the Raspberry Pi 4 . This is the software and interface I use for my LMS server loadings as it makes things very easy . I have downloaded the image and flashed it to my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB unit . I decided to build the LMS and all the settings on the Pi without connecting it up to any players before inserting this new Pi for my current Raspberry Pi3 + which has been doing the LMS service for about the last year or so.

Complete set up including rescanning my large library and adding in all the plug ins on LMS that I use and removing those i do not was about thirty five minutes . However it is now playing music while I type this (Eric Bibb - Strong Love at the moment) and the sound is if anything more solid and stable and easier to listen to than before but i accept that is a very subjective view.

What is not in doubt is the increase in speed and smoothnes you now get for any updates instructions and requests you put in to LMS . Early days yet but I have to say considering this is a Beta and so likely to show up with issues I have yet to find any problems in fact the reverse LMS has become a much nicer thing to use due to the faster response. I have tried a few pluins such as Material Skin , Radio Paradise , BBC iPlayer and they all work as they should.

To get advance functions you need to bu a licence for max2play but it will load and work LMS without any licence so you can use it for free and it will work just fine .

I'm Steve.

Thanks for this Andrew
    I’ll give it a try.
    Spent quite a while this morning just trying to get something to work (noobs, librelec etc)
    Suspect it’s a dodgy SD card. Frustrating though.

Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    In case you have not seen Max2play - www.max2play.com have announced a Beta download for the Raspberry Pi 4 . This is the software and interface I use for my LMS server loadings as it makes things very easy . I have downloaded the image and flashed it to my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB unit . I decided to build the LMS and all the settings on the Pi without connecting it up to any players before inserting this new Pi for my current Raspberry Pi3 + which has been doing the LMS service for about the last year or so.

Complete set up including rescanning my large library and adding in all the plug ins on LMS that I use and removing those i do not was about thirty five minutes . However it is now playing music while I type this (Eric Bibb - Strong Love at the moment) and the sound is if anything more solid and stable and easier to listen to than before but i accept that is a very subjective view.

What is not in doubt is the increase in speed and smoothnes you now get for any updates instructions and requests you put in to LMS . Early days yet but I have to say considering this is a Beta and so likely to show up with issues I have yet to find any problems in fact the reverse LMS has become a much nicer thing to use due to the faster response. I have tried a few pluins such as Material Skin , Radio Paradise , BBC iPlayer and they all work as they should.

To get advance functions you need to bu a licence for max2play but it will load and work LMS without any licence so you can use it for free and it will work just fine .

I'm Neal.

I was a long term user of max2play but the license approach made me switch to piecoreplayer. If you don’t have an active licence you can’t for instance make the file system rewritable if you had previously installed the SD card protection feature. So if you wanted to tweak settings or upgrade you where required to buy a licence.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I was a long term user of max2play but the license approach made me switch to piecoreplayer. If you don’t have an active licence you can’t for instance make the file system rewritable if you had previously installed the SD card protection feature. So if you wanted to tweak settings or upgrade you where required to buy a licence.
    It's just the way of it..these things have to be paid for somehow. If advertising won't do it,then charging will happen.
    I got used to streaming tidal and quboz with volumio, but with the latest versions I have to pay for that. Which is frustrating in that I stream via audirvana, which I've also already paid for.
    hey ho.

I'm Andrew.

Appreciate that to get the best from Max2play you need to buy a licence but in my view it is not really that expensive. As I mainly use it for LMS server duty only (all my players are Picore or Squeezelite) I could just stop paying and use the LMS loaded on the SD card. However for the work Heiner does and the ease of the add ons etc it is well worth the small fee in my view.

The again I give donations to Picore and Radio Paradise because I use them and appreciate the work that goes in to making them enjoyable software . Others use it and never donate which is fine whatever your feelings tell you is right.

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    It's just the way of it..these things have to be paid for somehow. If advertising won't do it,then charging will happen.
    I got used to streaming tidal and quboz with volumio, but with the latest versions I have to pay for that. Which is frustrating in that I stream via audirvana, which I've also already paid for.
    hey ho.
    Yes but no but ...I’m happy to donate to pcp but I’m not going to be constrained by a licence model that excludes me from using a feature I’ve already paid for.

I'm Steve.

YES!!
    Thought I might as well check out moode.
    Given up on the latest Volumio because I can’t stream Audirvava via upnp without more money being exchanged.
    Anyway.. not overly enthused because I’d gone off moode when it seemed you had to learn to code with it.
    No more! Image below works brilliantly with Pi 4 and my IOaudiO digi+
    Plugged my chord mojo in, and played with the settings..sounds brilliant.
    Best yet..loads of separation and sound stage.
    Thank you Tim.. donation on its way.

https://github.com/moode-player/mood...s/tag/r54beta2

I'm Neil.

Default Raspberry Pi 4 Released

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    What do you guys think the improvement will be (over a 3) when applying it to a hifi set up?
    Absolutely zero. My Pi 3B runs under 5% CPU load when streaming via its DigiOne HAT.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neal.

^^^^ This, in fact given the reports on underclocking of the 3b there’s an argument an underclocked 2b has the potential to be better still...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast