Over the last few months or so, had lost my drive to play my vinyl records.
Thought it about time to rejuvenate that interest, as I have enjoyed spinning the black stuff greatly since I was a lad (a very long time ago now)

Decide to keep the TT and arm as is, a Nottingham Analogue Dais and Graham Phantom II.
A new cartridge was what I decide to change. The current ones I have are now a bit aged.
A Mysonic Emminent, had for 15+ years has been re-tipped previously but seems to have gone off song recently. Could be just a re-build needed. But feel the need so recent from the first work could be telling me it is just tired out. Though when it was returned from the re-build I was initially very pleased but it seemed to go off song soon after, still good but not where it should be. The other cartridge is a Koetsu Black an original now about 20 years old.

So, having a chat with my local dealer Simon at HiFi Sound, he knows what I like. I have bought the majority of gear from him over the years, including my analogue and digital current setup.
Decided on a Hana HL cartridge.

So yesterday pulled the TT and tonearm apart completely and rebuilt it after a good clean and putting the tonearm settings to something different. That makes sure when I came to setup the Phantom, I move all the adjustments to their new positions and the mechanics have all been moved and operated.

After a bit of time spent ensuring all was setup well and I was happy. Time to spin the first piece of vinyl, what to choose. First up Leonard Cohen – Ten New Songs, followed by Gary Numan – Savage and Michael Hedges – Watching My Life Go By.

Without getting to wordy ( I am rubbish at describing sounds and it is a very personal thing anyway ), I am seriously impressed on my initial spins, and that the Hana ML is well worth my cost. It has a nice disposition, the mids neither lean or bloated but just right for my ears, musical could be the term. The highs are clean and extended, no signs of sibilance. Very even handed. The bass is deep and clean, not ultimate deep but very well balanced in context with the ML as a whole package.
So, early stages I know, I am expecting things to open up and change a touch when the suspension settles in a bit. I’ll revisit all the settings during the coming weeks, and maybe do some fine tuning, but not expecting to need to do much TBH.

I have played with the cartridge loading on my Audiovalve Sunilda, and quick settled on 470μF capacitance and 100Ω cartridge loading.

Enjoy your day all, I certainly will be.

TT 220619 - 3.jpg

Andy - SDDW