+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The great Thorens plinth conundrum

I'm Chris.

Default The great Thorens plinth conundrum

I could do with a little direction and advice regarding a plinth for the Thorens TD 124. I have done plenty of reading and it seems that some consider that the plinth for a 124 is not as critical to the sound of the deck as with for example, the Garrard 301/ 401. Now I cannot attest to this and I don't mind being 'schooled' in the slightest if others hold a contrary view. I am leaning towards a larger plinth with capacity to take a 12" arm in addition to the 9" arm on the decks standard armboard.

I am worried that a solid plinth will cause the motor to overheat and potentially shorten its life but I do want to get the most out of my new deck. However if what I read holds true a massive, solid design might not yield sonic benefits and it might be safer to buy a hollow type of plinth. I have seen plinths from DAS, NWA, RFC, Plinthology etc and they are very nice but does anyone know of any other company I might consider who can make a large plinth. Further to that has anyone used a shot filled plinth with the Thorens and what are your thoughts?

Choices, choices! One thing is for sure I wont be able to invest in the very expensive plinths out there as lovely as some of them might be. any advice you give will be appreciated.
    Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3.
    Radford Revival STA 25 and Rothwell Indus
    Tannoy Cheviot and RFC crossovers.
    RFC Mercury interconnects and Rhodium Twist speaker cable.

I'm Deleted.

Why do you think a solid plinth may cause the motor to overheat?
    Account Deleted

I'm Chris.

I have read that the motor on the Thorens can become quite warm and I have surmised that a solid plinth with little ventilation might cause it to become warmer than was intended. I noted that the Ortofon style plinth was hollow and have rightly or wrongly assumed that the Thorens was intended to be housed in a hollow plinth. I would be glad to be mistaken Mark.
    Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3.

I'm Josie.

It won't allow the motor to overheat unless the plinth is really tight but any plinth where its within say 1 cm away from the motor walls is simply a bad design in any case.

So generally plinths do have enough room. In fact most are totally open style underneath.

The solid plinths have plenty of room. I've never heard of one being too cramped.

So there is enough ventilation in whichever chassis you choose and even more ventilation all round if you decide to use the mushrooms to separate the chassis from the plinth so don't worry.

Remember that back in the day they were mounted in to console desks too.

I've had a solid plinth using no mushrooms and it's never overheated.

I've had my TD124 for I've 10 years now too with no problems.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm mark.

The 124 motors are happier with 220v and do get warm with UK voltages especially if you're nearer the top of spec (253v)

My 124 journey is still a roundtuit project, however I'll leave more space around the Thorens motor than I would a Garrard 3/401.

I'm Chris.

That is reassuring Josie, what type of plinth did you choose and who made it (if you don't mind me asking)?

I'm Chris.

It is now sitting on a stand rather than on the wall and is still on the sanding blocks (cork). Tapping the stand is clearly audible when playing music.

I'm Chris.

This is as it is tonight on the stand and now sporting a rather nice Audio Note IQ1.
    I think I would like the option of a another arm 9 or 12” (perhaps a mounting flexible to be adapted to take either).
    I would choose a heavy tonearm suited to something like my old Transfiguration Spirit.

I'm Patrick.

My 124 is in a solid plinth with a Mission 774, Decca C4e and a Bastin PSU. It sounds fab-u-lous.

I'm Chris.

Alreet Mr Hallwood! Tell me a bit about the plinth you use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast