+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The great Thorens plinth conundrum

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by guero View Post

It is now sitting on a stand rather than on the wall and is still on the sanding blocks (cork). Tapping the stand is clearly audible when playing music.
    I see you’ve made allowances for ventilation! No chance of overheating.

Russell

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I see you’ve made allowances for ventilation! No chance of overheating.

Russell

Yes, the ultimate skeletal plinth!
    Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3.
    Radford Revival STA 25 and Rothwell Indus
    Tannoy Cheviot and RFC crossovers.
    RFC Mercury interconnects and Rhodium Twist speaker cable.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by guero View Post
    Yes, the ultimate skeletal plinth!
    Is there anyone who will make a plinth to your design? Seems easy enough, design it with slots all around, and feet that hold it half inch off the table. It could be very custom cool?

Russell

I'm Chris.

I’m leaning towards an Ortofon style plinth using the mushrooms etc. Cheap and cheerful seems like the way forward- that will mean ditching the second arm.
    Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3.
    Radford Revival STA 25 and Rothwell Indus
    Tannoy Cheviot and RFC crossovers.
    RFC Mercury interconnects and Rhodium Twist speaker cable.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have been using Thorens TD 124/II decks for the last 47 years. I have three of them, and all have been used in plinths of various design.

It is my understanding that the Thorens 124 deck is largely immune to the plinth into which it is used. It was designed for broadcast use as well as use in domestic situations, so the use in a free standing plinth or in a 'console' is moot.

My first 124 was used in a plinth of my own design (an 'open frame' design, without a base, built for my me by my late father, and still in use today). The other two are housed in plinths designed for me by a fellow TD124 enthusiast Jason Choong: one allowing the use of a 9" pick-up arm, the second allowing the use of a 12" arm.

I also have a third plinth made by the Austrian company DAS ACOUSTIC. This has provision for the use of both 9" and 12" arms. It is a 'solid' plinth having a black lacquer 'piano finish' gloss, but unlike the Bastin-style plinths, it is not one which is scalloped out to take the turntable and its motor mechanism. The centre 'well' provides ample clearance for the motor and the speed change mechanism.

The motor of the TD124 is no more prone to overheating than any other TT motor.
    Last edited by Barry; 26-06-2019 at 17:21. Reason: Addition
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12