+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How does Shazam work?

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

IMHO - you only have a reason to be concerned on being "spied on" if there's a reason you're being spied on... Personally I don't care who's "listening" to me, as long as they're listening to the bad guys...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I've know idea how it works but have found it really handy and I think I've only had a couple of 'misses' so far
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Russell.

My Apple phone doesn’t have it, I guess I’d have to download the app to get that service? But my friend’s Android phone does it automatically. It works all the time, even if the phone is off, well in standby mode. I guess it’s there just for the recording industry? So when you hear a new song you like, you’ll know the name so you can buy a copy? Otherwise, I really see no use in it? Unless you’re listening to that “subversive” music! Then it’ll flag you!

Russell

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    IMHO - you only have a reason to be concerned on being "spied on" if there's a reason you're being spied on... Personally I don't care who's "listening" to me, as long as they're listening to the bad guys...
    I’ve always been inclined to agree on that. Unless you’re a gangster or terrorist, what’s to worry about?

But recent developments going on with Google, Twitter, and Facebook, the state of New York, etc. they are actively trying to silence conservative thinking. And the mayor of New York is targeting NRA members! Trying to make it so no banks will do business with them, etc. Christian and conservative YouTube channels are being shut down! And anything pro Trump is being erased, and those who speak out are being harassed by the law, and the bank. I’m afraid the times when just being an ordinary guy will be enough to keep you out of trouble are shrinking, things are about to get ugly. Personally I try to keep my thoughts and feelings off the Internet. A university cop in Washington state was fired, simply for “liking” on a Trump website! He didn’t even comment. Scary times are ahead.

I saw on a TV show talking about new tech, the Chinese have these new cameras that can isolate hundreds of faces at once! They demonstrated on a crowed sidewalk in China somewhere, you know, a hundred people wide by ten miles long. And it was identifying every single individual by facial recognition! Anyone who the government wanted to talk to could be followed from camera to camera, pretty scary stuff. There are places on earth right this minute where being a Christian is enough to get you and your family killed. Our governments are sliding down the crapper faster and faster these days.

Russell

I'm Paul.

I agree. Its not that I have anything to hide or plan on doing anything bad. The problem is the accumulation of data on people’s habits and choices. If it was solely about sending me ads of things that were actually of interest for me that would be fine. Hopefully by just posting this my wife will keep seeing adverts about the JBL 70th anniversary speakers I’m lusting after.
    ~Paul~

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    We are being spied upon everywhere, all the time. Not to worry though, it creates so much data that only the most discriminating computer searching flags anything and they (whoever 'they' are) are unlikely to even be aware of most individuals, let alone have an interest in them, there are simply too many people to keep tabs on.
    Thats all well and fine, until the artificial intelligence develops enough so that “they” can be concerned about everything.....

Then one day, you find yourself under house arrest, locked in your own home just for expressing some sympathy for a political idea....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    Thats all well and fine, until the artificial intelligence develops enough so that “they” can be concerned about everything.....

Then one day, you find yourself under house arrest, locked in your own home just for expressing some sympathy for a political idea....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    At least we’ll have our stereos to keep us company!

Russ

I'm Paul.

The worst is that if you have any musical guilty pleasures, maybe you’re a closet S-Club 7 fan, you’ll soon be outed as soon as you have a moment of weakness.

CCTV and facial recognition soon put a stop to those secret lemonade drinkers, even when paying cash they still knew who had been buying the stuff...
    ~Paul~

I'm Adam.

Who cares how it works - it’s the best app ever!

If you have Spotify, too, you can link the two and it saves anything you’ve Shazamed into a special playlist for you.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Steve.

Lost count of the number of times I've been driving somewhere, and something interesting has come on the radio. I arrive at my destination, but just sit in the car, waiting for the song to end, to find out what it was. And almost every time they run straight into something else

Not any more! And good for music that comes up on the telly - so rarely credited by the programme makers.

Hopefully Shazam is only listening when I ask it to, I wouldn't want that technology to be readily available to anyone with the money and determination. In particular some crackpot religious group becoming "concerned" about my frequent playing of Barbra Streisand records and showtunes
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast