+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does Shazam work?

I'm Steve.

Default How does Shazam work?

I'm guessing that when Shazam is 'listening', it's converting the sound to ones and zeros, and comparing them to its database.

When on holiday there was this band having a go at 'Sultans of Swing', and I tried it out. But Shazam was having none of it. Probably didn't help that the singer seemed to be just mouthing the sound of the lyrics with no understanding of what he was 'saying'.

Perhaps Shazam was just saying to me that it wasn't going to dignify that racket with a reply.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I'm guessing that when Shazam is 'listening', it's converting the sound to ones and zeros, and comparing them to its database.

When on holiday there was this band having a go at 'Sultans of Swing', and I tried it out. But Shazam was having none of it. Probably didn't help that the singer seemed to be just mouthing the sound of the lyrics with no understanding of what he was 'saying'.

Perhaps Shazam was just saying to me that it wasn't going to dignify that racket with a reply.
    It's a guy called Kevin with a pair of headphones, a keyboard, and no mates!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Gotta love Kevin! And his cousin Norman who deals with the classical side
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post

Just yesterday, a friend stopped by, and as we listened to the stereo, he showed me that his Android phone was naming every song I played! He wasn’t sure why? But there it was, written across the bottom of his home screen. I suspect you’re right, it must be an exact copy for it to be identified.

Russell

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I always thought it was a call centre in Bombay with rows of Indian music geeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Paul.

So, who is actually listening to us through our phones and smart devices? Some shady government or have they outsourced it all to a low labour cost country. Or it could just be some sociopath geek.
    ~Paul~

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    So, who is actually listening to us through our phones and smart devices? Some shady government or have they outsourced it all to a low labour cost country. Or it could just be some sociopath geek.
    Its all been outsourced to Google

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Neil.

My understanding he is a college student, Billy Batson, who met a wizard who gifted him with powers so when he says Shazam he becomes Captain Marvel..... So how it works is by saying SHAZAM

Regards Neil

I'm Russell.

That Eric Snowden fellow, who I think was recently arrested by the US in Britain? When the Russians threw him out of Russia. He blew the whistle on the NSA, who apparently have giant computers that monitor every cell phone call, and email, in the entire world! When certain key words are used together, it throws up a flag, that sends it to a human agent for review. Supposedly how they caught Bin Ladin?

So, anyway, that artificial intelligence they created to do this, can also be used to identify music. A friend of mine has an android phone, and as we sat in front of my stereo, it was naming every song I played, for no particular reason.

But, I do think it has to be a bit for bit copy. He was saying a friend of his who plays in a cover band was on stage playing a song, Sultans of Swing, and he tried to get his phone to identify it, and it would not. So, it’s not too smart.

I have had several instances where my phone was off, and when I turned it on and started Google, it jumped to define something we had been talking about. So, no doubt our devices are listening to us, even when they are off!

Back in the late 60’s, Nixon had the CIA looking into some way for our TV’s to be looking back at us! At the time, it was deemed impossible to do without being found out. But now! All the new TV’s have cameras and microphones and Alexa built right in! So, we are living in an Orwellian nightmare! But at least my phone can identify that song I can’t recall the name of!

Russell

I'm Geoff.

We are being spied upon everywhere, all the time. Not to worry though, it creates so much data that only the most discriminating computer searching flags anything and they (whoever 'they' are) are unlikely to even be aware of most individuals, let alone have an interest in them, there are simply too many people to keep tabs on.

Thought that occurs to me, is do people who do their best to stay 'below the radar' as it were, prompt interest in themselves by doing so? I'll bet there's some sort of search algorithm at work that looks for exactly that.

Oh, and the little communications spy planes can be seen circling London skies every day. They go round and round and round in ten mile circuits for hours. They're based at RAF Northolt if you want to Google it. I've probably now been flagged for mentioning this! (If they are listening I have a message....BOLLOCKS!)
    Last edited by walpurgis; 29-06-2019 at 22:51.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast