+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonus Faber replacement drivers.... Err

I'm Richard.

Default Sonus Faber replacement drivers.... Err

A few months ago the mid/bass driver one of my SF Electas speakers conked out. I think it was the voice coil which I believe can't be rewound.
    The replacement is extortionate, over £1K for one! (Dynaudio MF180SF)
    My temptation is to swap the 6" drivers in both speakers for another type ... heresy I know, but otherwise these speakers are just gonna sit here doin' nowt which is just as bad.
    I know the existing crossover is critical.
    Does any anyone have any ideas?

I'm Chris.

The Peerless driver here: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Peerless_HDS830860.htm
    is a 5 inch which looks physically close to the one in your Sonus Fabers The sonus fabers
    appear to have a secondary cover disguising the actual driver dimension. The 830860 also gets lots of
    recommendations as a excellent loudspeaker driver.

i would review the Peerless range https://www.tymphany.com/peerless-ap...notes/?lang=en
    and measure up the aperture with your existing driver removed ( as I think its actually a 5 inch ) to see what will match.
    Prices are typically 1/17th of the figure you quoted for a pair.

I'm matt.

Are you sure it's not possible to get it repaired? I had bad luck with Wembley loudspeakers but there are others that can repair drivers.

When you design a speaker, the first thing you do is measure the t/s parameters and model a box that's the correct size and port tuning frequency (assuming ported). So you'd need to find a driver that not only fits the opening, but will work in that particular box. Assuming the existing tweeter will work with your new driver, the crossover would also need to be completely redesigned. To design a crossover properly can take months.

I'm Simon.

Or perhaps look for a cheap second hand pair which are cosmetically challenged and swap drives over? I had been thinking of buying some SF Cremonas recently, but decided against it when I repeatedly read of driver problems and the enormous cost to replace.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Dennis.

If you particularly love the speakers, getting another pair as Simon says seems sensible, also they will provide 'backup' should another problem occur.

I'm Richard.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen. The prospect of finding new drivers albeit cheaper seems a tad daunting bearing in mind the points made by Fatmarley.
    On the other hand buying a second pair is equally traumatising as the last couple of sales on eBay have been £1k & £1.4k.

Interesting that you mention Wembley loudspeakers Matt because it was they who said the Electas couldnt be repaired. Could you tell me which company/person you had more success with? Was it Sonus Faber speakers that you needed to repair?
    Cheers

I'm Martin.

You could consult Wimslow Audio. I know that they have worked on repairing SF in the past. They are usually busy and therefore not the fastest
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Neil.

Let me guess AS attempting to shove their arm way in again?

Try and buy from the maker of the driver and not through AS.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    You could consult Wimslow Audio. I know that they have worked on repairing SF in the past. They are usually busy and therefore not the fastest
    But decent people by reputation who won't try and fleece you.
    Regards Neil

I'm Richard.

[QUOTE=Try and buy from the maker of the driver and not through AS.[/QUOTE]

I did contact Dynaudio Neil, but was informed that they no longer have any stock. Their current equivalent would not be suitable. The only ones available are from Sonus Faber who's dealership is ....... Absolute Sounds

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast