+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Short USB cable and long interconnects or long USB and short interconnects

I'm William.

Default Short USB cable and long interconnects or long USB and short interconnects

Hi Guys

I think the above explains it all. I currently have my DAC close to the amp and use short interconnects, my laptop is at least 2.5m away from the DAC. I could move it round with a bit of effort. But thought I’d ask the question first so long USB cable and short interconnects or the other way round. What will give best quality?

Many thanks

Regards

Bill

I'm James.

2.5m? I doubt you'd hear any difference at all quite honestly. USB is designed to work up to 5m and then MAY require active repeaters to maintain a connection, but good quality line level RCA cables should be good for 5 to 10m. YMMV as usual.
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

I'm Neil.

Default Short USB cable and long interconnects or long USB and short interconnects

Long USB cable will be cheaper, and more convenient. At these lengths nothing to worry about sonically.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Grant.

Usb is usually good for 5m. 10 with a repeater cable. I used to use a 10m with repeater in middle a lot and there is no degradation that I can hear. Not overly expensive either.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Russell.

What kind of USB cable are you using? Just a standard computer store type? Or one claiming to be for audio use? A better cable MAY make a difference, or it may be hardly noticeable. They do come in all prices, perhaps an entry level USB for audio cable would be worth an experiment, like those made by Audioquest, but I wouldn’t spend any more than would hurt your feelings if it didn’t make a difference.

Russell

I'm Bill.

Try a Lindy USB cable - quality cable at a good price!
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm William.

Hi Guys
    I’m using a Belkin Gold series cable. I’ve had it for some time now, it was well thought of when it first came out. It was said that it was good value for money performance wise, probably could be bettered now though. I think it is now discontinued.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegwill View Post
    Hi Guys
    I’m using a Belkin Gold series cable. I’ve had it for some time now, it was well thought of when it first came out. It was said that it was good value for money performance wise, probably could be bettered now though. I think it is now discontinued.
    The Belkin is an ok starter cable, but having done comparisons with Wire World USBs I did hear a difference, between them, with the Wire Worlds being better. I haven't played with other audiophile USB cables, but I would assume there will be differences, and improvements to be had there too.

I use up to 2m with no issue, not tried longer.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    Try a Lindy USB cable - quality cable at a good price!
    +1
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread