+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Hi fi fuse ? Tweek !

I'm Paul.

I think that whatever fuses may do to improve the sound microarcing is not anything to do with it. Your whole mains wiring system is full of electrical connections that relay upon compressive force to keep a good connection. Plugs and sockets, the screw connections in junction boxes, connections in the consumer unit, IEC socket connections... if microarcing was an issue it would be happening everywhere and it would eventually ruin all the connections. We just don’t see this and house wiring connections stay reliable for decades.
    ~Paul~

I'm Vince.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I think that whatever fuses may do to improve the sound microarcing is not anything to do with it. Your whole mains wiring system is full of electrical connections that relay upon compressive force to keep a good connection. Plugs and sockets, the screw connections in junction boxes, connections in the consumer unit, IEC socket connections... if microarcing was an issue it would be happening everywhere and it would eventually ruin all the connections. We just don’t see this and house wiring connections stay reliable for decades.
    100% agree, as long as there is a point of contact, no matter how small as long as it is a constant contact......you will experience no arcing.

I'm John.

I'm not sure if this tweak has been presented in the previous posts, but I have read recently, that damping the sleeve between the metal ends can have a noticeable effect.
    The method I read, was to wrap the fuse sleeve in masking tape, leaving about 1mm spacing next to the metal end parts, so the metal end parts are not covered by any tape.
    If damping the sleeve is a tweak that has a effect viewed as a improvement, maybe a 'O' Ring placed on the fuse sleeve as a alternative damping, might deliver a noticeable effect.

I'm Geoff.

OK if you want to start a fire I guess.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

If my suggestion is leading to A FIRE RISK !!
    I ask the moderators to remove it.
    Apologies, as I had seen nothing to suggest there was a increased risk, by carrying out such a procedure.

I'm Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Regrettably not always the case. Was in girlfriends house 48 years ago and unplugged something and the plug was distinctly warm/hot. Further examination of socket revealed that cabling was no longer securely fixed by the grub screw. Apparently this happened due to this socket always having vacuum cleaner plugged in and out over a number of years and the faint vibration of this action resulted in screw loosening. It was also discovered that there was no earth wire on the ring main ! But that's another story.
    As result I check the cable fixing screws on sockets that have plugs in and out on a regular basis every couple of years, but I can be anal about some things

I'm John.

If I recall a conversation I was involved in a few years past, it had nothing to do with a HiFi Mains Power Supply, just a description of faults that can be found during a electricians property inspection.
    A electrician told me that one of the cables in the wall socket can become loose, as the hertz has got the capability to loosen a cable retaining screw.
    Hence a Landlord has a property certified for the electrics, and the electrician would remove the wall socket fascia and check the tightness of the cable retaining screws as part of a inspection.

I'm Gary.

Having been there and done it...and have hifi fuses in my system and would’t change em despite what anyone on a Forum may shout about...
    They make a positive difference.

If in doubt, try for yourself...30 day mail order warranty applies.
    These things do make a positive difference, see what you think?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm charles.

Default Fuses?

Hi guys,

New here. Reading the thread I see mention of the Synergistic Research fuses. Has anybody tried some of the less expensive types like Shurter, Aucharm or AMR

In this game I believe everything matters, including fuses.

I'm Alex.

I use the Schurter SMD-SPT fuses for the inside of my projects. They are gold plated and are ceramic bodied which means that they cannot shatter like the glass ones.
    I wonder if the micro arcing idea got put around by the articles written by Ben Duncan ages ago. He was talking about the difference between 6ka and 10ka MCB`s. The larger ones had a bigger contact area and would be less susceptible to micro arcing.
    He also mentioned that the larger MCB`s were less likely to admit RFI into the mains when the AC crosses over the No volt threshold because micro arcing can cause tiny detector diodes to form on the contacts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast