+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi fi fuse ? Tweek !

I'm Norman.

Ok, a result from the Scottish Jury posted. Neel pointes awarded ( apologies to Eurovision fans yeah right)
    Rosewood LP12 Lingo, Ittok LVIII, AT OC9/III, Pioneer N-50A Streamer, Beresford Caimen SEG, Yamaha CD-N301 CD/ Streamer.Puresound T10 & P10, Audio Synthesis Passion Ultimate passive preamp, Audio Synthesis Decade amp. Canor TP10 Headphone amp. Pair MF P150 amps
    Linn Keildh, Hiquphon Tweeter upgrade.With Kustone bases
    Solid core Silver interconnects. Silver plated solid core copper interconnects, KLE Silver and Neutrik plugs and K400 biwire cable. Norstone Bergen 2 table
    Mission Isoplat (anyone remember them?)Synology DS215 , Beyerdynamic DT 990's, ADL GT40 Alpha for ADC Duties.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Yes I know I said I’m going to, and I still plan to. But I’m still recovering from major surgery, and I’m still not able to get back behind the rack and get to my fuses. But I do feel it a well worth the effort idea! So give me a month, and I’ll give it a try.

The idea of putting a spec of solder, I’m thinking more of circuit board mounted glass fuses like found in preamps, and CD players. I do realize the big fuses on our amps, with the screw in holders, wouldn’t work in that regard. Just brain storming, as I’m laid up I’ve got plenty of time to think.

Russell
    Ah yes - sorry I had forgotten about your recent surgery. There's no rush. For the record, I did once try polishing the end caps of a mains fuse after reading about it in an audio magazine. At the same time I also polished the pins of the plug. Can't say it made the slightest difference. Neither did trying out a 'Hi Fi Tuning UK Gold' 13A fuse, and since in those days I had access to liquid nitrogen, 'cryocooling' or annealing the fuse made no difference either.

As I said in a previous post, with most mechanical contacts, the effective contact area is about 15% of the actual physical contact area. I doubt if polishing a fuse will do much to reduce the surface asperities and increase the contact area, but using some form of conducting fluid to fill in the interstices might help. Would it make an audible difference? I doubt it: all you would be doing is to reduce an already low contact resistance of ~ 2 milliohm to one of about 0.3 milliohm.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Barry

I don't think it's just about resistance, the total contact users say the product reduces microarching. They believe that microarching contributes to noise, possibly even radio frequency.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm alan.

I'm Martin.

You may laugh Alan, but when I listen to my system it makes me smile and its definitely improved by the contact enhancer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm alan.

Okay Martin, if you perceive an improvement that's cool.

Enjoy the music.......

I'm Russell.

Default Hi fi fuse ? Tweek !

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Ah yes - sorry I had forgotten about your recent surgery. There's no rush. For the record, I did once try polishing the end caps of a mains fuse after reading about it in an audio magazine. At the same time I also polished the pins of the plug. Can't say it made the slightest difference. Neither did trying out a 'Hi Fi Tuning UK Gold' 13A fuse, and since in those days I had access to liquid nitrogen, 'cryocooling' or annealing the fuse made no difference either.

As I said in a previous post, with most mechanical contacts, the effective contact area is about 15% of the actual physical contact area. I doubt if polishing a fuse will do much to reduce the surface asperities and increase the contact area, but using some form of conducting fluid to fill in the interstices might help. Would it make an audible difference? I doubt it: all you would be doing is to reduce an already low contact resistance of ~ 2 milliohm to one of about 0.3 milliohm.
    Once you’ve removed the chrome and found bare copper, I don’t suppose soldering would make it sound any better. But, it would preserve that sound for a long time. And solve that issue with contact area, maximizing contact, no microarching. Was what I was thinking anyway.

What you were saying about contact enhancers, I was thinking on the rear screw in fuse holders where we can’t solder, I wonder about the silver paste? (Same thing?) They sell it at Audio Adviser, supposedly to rub on the ends of your RCA connectors, again, to maximize contact area. So, what if a dab was added to each end of the fuse? Not free, but still a cheap tweak. Just spit balling, taking it to the next level. If someone has some silver paste laying around, it may be worth a try?

Russell

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    ...it makes me smile and its definitely improved by the contact enhancer.
    I’ll have to try a bit of that next time me and the missus go away for the weekend.
    ~Paul~

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I’ll have to try a bit of that next time me and the missus go away for the weekend.
    Just make sure you switch your hifi off and unplug it from the wall before you go....
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

What's all this "microarching" (sic)? I assume you mean 'microarcing', but how can you get a voltage gradient of 3MV/m to cause arcing between one part of the fuse end-cap and holder, when other parts of the assembly are in electrical contact, and thereby short out any voltage gradient?

If you feel the use of contact enhancer improves your system, then that is all that really matters: it's your system, your ears and your money.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast