+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Hi fi fuse ? Tweek !

I'm David.

The only purpose of the fuse is to protect the cable and equipment in the event of a fault. If you replace the fuse with a higher rated fuse and there is a fault it will not protect the cable or equipment. Consequently, there will be damage and potentially a fire. Coupled with the fact, that you’ve just invalidated your home insurance.

I'm Dennis.

I would suggest that before asserting that a thicker, (and more dangerous) fuse wire is used, that a measurement of the actual resistance of the 3/4" length of wire in the fuse be done - if you can.

When taking into account all the other resistance in the ccts, surely this small one is swamped by them.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

As part of the specification for BS1362 cartridge fuses, the fuse itself (regardless of rating) must dissipate no more than 1 watt. Thus for a 13A rated fuse the resistance of the fuse will be no more than 6 milli-Ohm. For a 3A rated fuse this becomes 0.11 Ohm, but in practice the resistance will be lower: the diameter of the copper wire used will be 0.15mm and it is 25.4mm long, so a resistance of 0.025 Ohm.
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

When replacing a fuse I do wipe both ends on my nose, the acidic grease tends to improve contact. (An old BBC trick with faders).

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    When replacing a fuse I do wipe both ends on my nose, the acidic grease tends to improve contact. (An old BBC trick with faders).
    Is that the inside or the outside of the nose??

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I have said this many times before, if you mess with the original parameters of a fuse so that it actualy has a measured diffrence as to the current over time it can carry, then its safety aspect as to the rating it originaly adered to is compromised, IMHO and from experience of repairing equipment where these things have been fitted, I strongly advise that you think very carefuly about the possible ramifications of doing so before you decide to fit them!
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Is that the inside or the outside of the nose??

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
    I stated that I wiped both ends "ON" my nose.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314