+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got experience of colin wonfor’s LS25 and atlas ascent 2 mkii speaker cable ?

I'm Martin.

2 boundary subs and un ported speakers on the wall is optimal starting point for the lyngdorf demonstrations though I’m sure. I don’t have the room to work like that. It has to work as a living room and i have other stuff to fit in it and 2 doors into the room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    It appears it does by your own standards.

Well, if you think so then that’s fine. On the other hand you, by your own admission, haven’t heard many other systems to compare it to...

Frankly, I think you are wasting your time looking for improvements (in this case) changing your speaker cable (I’m not a cable non-believer though) - but it’s your money and if it gives you enjoyment then why not - perhaps it will redefine your expectations, veils will be lifted etc.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

Mark

I do appreciate the input, you could be right and there may be no difference between DNM and Atlas. I’ll post here good bad or indifferent.

I will learn something either way.

I'm Martin.

I think the sealed design and the fact that I roll off at 80hz means the proacs are very forgiving in positioning especially under the control of the Lyngdorf. My speakers are only 5ft apart but I get some stereo effects 5ft to the side of the speakers. Sound stage also has good height and some effects appear deep but nothing really projects forward.

when people talk of holographic soundstage is it truly 3D ? Or is it just big and well separated?
    Nothing should project forward, the soundstage should be constructed entirely behind the plane of the speakers. So it sounds like you are some of the way there already. I don't see why using spotify should be a barrier to getting a 'holographic' soundstage, that is possible and I have heard it myself on a couple of occasions, in one instance from a vinyl source. But in both cases the room was quite large with plenty of space around the speakers, especially to the sides. No DSP was involved.

The speakers themselves, their position in the room and the characteristics of the room will all have an effect. Of course if it is not on the recording (and it isn't there on many recordings) then you won't get it anyway. Whilst I agree you can change the sound to a small degree by changing the speaker cable I don't see how this will contribute in any way to getting a 3d soundstage. Fact is no-one entirely agrees as to what is the best way to get this effect. Possibly because there are so many variables and psychoacoustics is still something of a gray area. So experimentation in your own individual situation is the only way.

The best example I have heard was using Linkwitz LX521 bi-polar speakers in a big room and the recording was Jeff Beck 'Live At Ronnie Scotts.' 'Transported to the venue' were the words I would use, it was quite astonishing. I have a pretty good set up and a fairly benign room but I can't get close to replicating that effect when playing that recording at home.

You're attempting the most difficult thing in hif-fi. Good luck!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You're attempting the most difficult thing in hif-fi. Good luck!
    Yup. It's not too hard to get great bass, or wide and fast dynamic swings etc.

But the sense of being 'Transported to the venue' is very elusive.

The closer I can reliably get to it, the more I sense that it is to do with clarity, transparency and resolution.
    So if a speaker cable change can help with that (which I think it can) then it's as good a thing to do as any other in the quest for 'being there'.

I'm Martin.

Well changing the speaker cable won't hurt. Agree getting noise/distortion as low as possible will be a factor but since it is possible to get the effect from a vinyl source I don't think it is a deal-breaker. Personally I gave up on the quest, I don't think my room is wide enough (12 foot) to be able to achieve it. As long as I've got a 'good tone' I'm happy. And even that's not easy!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Thanks for the input Martin

Those speakers look very interesting , some information on the design principles here

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/LX521/Description.htm

Interesting that the tweeter is dipole , that's what the lyngdorf on wall speaker designs use.

Will try to understand this better when I have more time.

I've taken a good bit of effort with my power and with vibration control both of these improved the soundstage considerably.

I may well be limited by speaker positioning now as it's set for practical use of space. I could tweak soft furnishings etc a little and play a bit more with speaker toe in angles.

One day I may get a proper listening room , you never know....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Those speakers look very interesting
    Ugly though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Howard.

I have, but only the LS25. Superb. Performance versus price = 10/10. I am selling mine (mint condition) as I am upgrading to their very new LS50. I am asking £300 for 5.0m pair and this includes insured Special Delivery (usually 24 hours) in the UK. Firm sale, no offers and no returns. Thank you.
    Well, hello.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wonfor View Post
    Hi Guys LS50 now available send Mr. Brown a msg

https://www.abcaudio.biz/product-page/ewa-ls-50

Best Col
    Colin is the LS 50 just a biwire version of LS 25 ? Or is it for single runs too ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast