+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Breaking earth loops

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Is this a worthwhile thing to do?
    It also acts as a high pass filter for RFI. which is beneficial.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

LOL half my post disappeared for some reason, Alan has covered it. I was planning on fitting an earth point on the pre so I could wire cable ground to that via a resistor. A wire can then be taken back to the chassis of the other component.

Whilst looking around last night I came upon these so am getting some to try-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600-ohm-G...72.m2749.l2649

Hopefully that will do the job.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    LOL half my post disappeared for some reason, Alan has covered it. I was planning on fitting an earth point on the pre so I could wire cable ground to that via a resistor. A wire can then be taken back to the chassis of the other component.

Whilst looking around last night I came upon these so am getting some to try-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600-ohm-G...72.m2749.l2649

Hopefully that will do the job.
    Something like this would provide greater connection flexibility - all flavours at once

Chris

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yeah looked at those on Thomann, have enough on the racks as it is lol.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Something like this would provide greater connection flexibility - all flavours at once

Please update this thread when you have evaluated them.
    Last edited by bumpy; 18-06-2019 at 13:18.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Steve.

Just a quick thank you.

I had a hum and after reading the comments on this post plugged my pre and power in to my plug board with all my source components instead of in to the wall. Hey presto hum gone or at least insignificant.

It's magic!
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Good result. :-)

Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Please update this thread when you have evaluated them.
    You'll be waiting a hell of a long time for an evaluation from me.
    I DON'T have any ground loop issues.
    I have on occasion had fun solving ground loop issues on paging amplifiers in offices and the like.

The box shown is just a couple of isolation transformers with paralleled inputs and outputs http://artproaudio.com/product/dti-d...rmer-isolator/
    Chris

I'm openingabottleofwine.

As I explained elsewhere, an isolating transformer will not necessarily solve a hum problem. Hum is an AC signal of 50Hz (plus harmonics), so will be passed through a transformer. I once had a mild hum problem with some AV gear. I tried a 1:1 transformer - it didn't work. What did work was me tracing an earth loop and breaking it.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    As I explained elsewhere, an isolating transformer will not necessarily solve a hum problem. Hum is an AC signal of 50Hz (plus harmonics), so will be passed through a transformer. I once had a mild hum problem with some AV gear. I tried a 1:1 transformer - it didn't work. What did work was me tracing an earth loop and breaking it.
    I didn't post the picture of the isolating transformer box as a cure to anything.
    I was just showing a bigger, more complete version of the XLR model Ali posted.

The cure is, as you've already pointed out, tracing the loop and then breaking it.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast