+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking earth loops

I'm Chris.

Default Breaking earth loops

I want to break an earth loop in a signal chain. Do gizmos like this work and what effect if any do they have on sound quality.
    Thanks

https://transparent-uk.com/c2g-stere...gaAtYGEALw_wcBearth loop.jpg
    Last edited by bumpy; 17-06-2019 at 07:49.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

How do you know you have an earth loop?
    What are the symptoms you're experiencing?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    How do you know you have an earth loop?
    What are the symptoms you're experiencing?
    Here is my perspective.

I have very sensitive speakers and sit near field so any hum in the speakers is a significant contribution. I also have a complex interconnect wiring circuit using the output from the main amp to supply a signal via DSP to the base amp. All this has brought about an increase in earth loop hum which I have diagnosed through 55 years of experience.

I have addressed the mains leads to reduce loops and have them all plugged into a single outlet. I wont be lifting any earthing wires.

This leaves me with the signal wires. I believe earth hums are produced by having (small) voltage differences between the earthing points within the system so that a (small) current flows continuously and you have hum which is normally about 50 Hz.

I think the gizmos are 1:1 transformers and will break the continuity between points in the system. I stand to be corrected by those who know better.
    Last edited by bumpy; 17-06-2019 at 09:41.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Having all of your devices plugged into a single power strip (ie using just one mains outlet from the wall) usually eliminates any ground loops.
    However, it isn't always the case.

The bit about DSP is interesting.
    You may be noticing noise that the DSP is superimposing over your signal.

Any chance of some pictures to see what you're playing with?
    Last edited by Stratmangler; 17-06-2019 at 09:01.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Josie.

I got around my loop problem by getting a proper earth lift circuit fitted to my pre amp.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm inthescottishmafia.

DSP may be adding some noise. Is the noise coming from both amps?

A 10-100ohm resistor fitted between signal ground and chassis earth in your amps would help, assuming the RCA sockets are isolated from the chassis.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I got around my loop problem by getting a proper earth lift circuit fitted to my pre amp.

I’m going to have to do this. I have my Mytek dac feeding NCore amps directly and have a hum problem. So I either fit some earth lift resistors in my passive Tribute AVC pre and use it in the chain or fit some in the XLR-RCA adaptors on the amps.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Chris.

First let me say that with all valve amps there is a small amount of hum in sensitive speakers. This is normal.

With the DSP, volume control and ICE amp on and running but with no inputs the base driver is totally silent. With these components in circuit there is earth grounding hum in the base driver. I appreciate that any output hum on the main amp is brought back round to the base amp, but its more than that.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    DSP may be adding some noise. Is the noise coming from both amps?

A 10-100ohm resistor fitted between signal ground and chassis earth in your amps would help, assuming the RCA sockets are isolated from the chassis.
    On both my amps the signal earth and mains earth are connected to each other.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post

Thanks, can someone explain what an earth lift is. Thanks
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast