+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Breaking earth loops

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    I'm struggling too. If you put a resistor between the ground of the cable and a case that is not connected to earth, then its seems no better than inserting a resistor and dangling the other end in fresh air.
    I agree, I think Ali is suggesting that the resistor is inserted in the 'ground' connection out to the output sockets.

As far as an earth lift goes in an earthed case system, the extra resistance between the signal ground loop and the earth loop forces any current that is flowing to flow in the earth connections between cases, rather than the signal connections, thus reducing the 50Hz currents to virtually zero.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I agree, I think Ali is suggesting that the resistor is inserted in the 'ground' connection out to the output sockets.

As far as an earth lift goes in an earthed case system, the extra resistance between the signal ground loop and the earth loop forces any current that is flowing to flow in the earth connections between cases, rather than the signal connections, thus reducing the 50Hz currents to virtually zero.
    I think that is clearer !!
    Let me try this. If I take a wire from one of the cable earths through a resistor and then to the mains earth is this the same.?
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Also, using a passive with transformers will also break the earth loop.

I had a passive once which did just that.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Transformers will only provide galvanic isolation, that is isolation from DC. Any alternating current fed to the primary (such as 50Hz mains 'hum' and its harmonics) will be simply transferred to the secondary winding of the transformer.

I once had a mild hum problem with an AV set up. Using a 1:1 transformer did not help. The only cure was to trace the earth loop and break it.
    Barry

I'm Neil.

I wonder if it’s an interconnect related issue, specifically with how the shields are being grounded.

What interconnects are you using?
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Alan.

I think that is clearer !!
    Let me try this. If I take a wire from one of the cable earths through a resistor and then to the mains earth is this the same.?
    Only providing the cable earth isn't directly connected to mains earth, this is where the 'earth lift' comes in.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Only providing the cable earth isn't directly connected to mains earth, this is where the 'earth lift' comes in.
    Great I'll give that a go. Some googling suggest a capacitor in parallel to the resistor is a good idea. Don't know why?
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Great I'll give that a go. Some googling suggest a capacitor in parallel to the resistor is a good idea. Don't know why?
    Coz it blocks DC.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Edward.

At times I've experienced horrendous or minor hum and scratched my head searching for causes, blaming it on earth loops, bad components and all else between. So far as I recall the hums went away by realigning interconnects and speaker cables, often only by a small amount. What I call 'jiggling'.

I offer no explanation as to why (I'm not an electronics engineer), just what I found (so far).

caveat: YMMV.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I wonder if it’s an interconnect related issue, specifically with how the shields are being grounded.

What interconnects are you using?
    I use Klotz cables around the DSP circuit. These are certainly quieter than the Audionote silver cables I used before.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Coz it blocks DC.
    Is this a worthwhile thing to do?
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast