+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello

I'm Morris.

Default Hello

Here to learn and contribute where I can.

Bought my first audio gear at 17, Akai and Aiwa with Wharfedale Laser 60 speakers.

Now I have a bit more stuff (don't most of us) and other than getting an SP10 at some point and constructing my own speakers I am settled with what I have.

Of course, that could change

Primary

Tubelab SE300B

TEAC TN-400 w Shure V15IV & SME3009 Imp

Vista Phono1+

Loth-X Ion BS1 & Rel T-Zero 2

Bluesound Node 2i

Secondary

Denon DRA-455

Genesis 2+ (upgraded crossover)

Bluesound Node 2i

Emotiva XDA2

Backup

Dual 1219 w/ Shure M91ED

TEAC TN400

Sony DVP -7000

Office

TEAC AH-500 and associated components

Bose 301 IV

Some Pictures

Last edited by moggi1964; 15-06-2019 at 15:26. Reason: Update components

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Welcome to the forum Morris. Must admit I’m not up to speed on most of your kit - maybe show us a photo or two sometime? Anyway, glad you’re enjoying your system and hope you enjoy AoS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Morris.

Thanks Alex, I put up some pics but they came out quite large! And look at that dust

The tube amp I built with help from friends and is a design by George at tubelab.com. Puts out about 7.5wpc.

The Loth-X Ion BS speakers are a terrific bookshelf speaker and when paired with the Rel t-Zero 2 are a perfect pairing with my tube amp. Specs on those are:

Tweeter: 1-inch treated cloth
    Main driver: 6-inch paper (Loth-X custom) w/cloth surround and magnetic shielding.
    Frequency Response: 55 - 20,000Hz
    Impedance: 8 Ohms
    Efficiency: 94dB/2.83 V/m
    Dimensions: 200mm x 295mm x 400mm (WxDxH)
    Weight: 12kg

The TN-400 is an interesting turntable with magnet float technology and is a broadcast table form the 70's to compete with the Technics. Plinth is plyboo built by a good friend of mine.

The Genesis II+ speakers are again from the 70's with an eight-inch two-way system with a ten-inch passive radiator. I replaced the crossover components with modern equivalents to the same specs.

Dimensions: 33" x 14-1/2" x 10-1/2"
    Weight: 44lbs
    Sensitivity: 88.5 dB, 1w at 1m
    Frequency response: 28 Hz to 20 kHz
    Power: 15 - 100 watts/ch
    Impedance: 8 ohhms

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Morris.

That's some fine gear you have there - I didn't know TEAC had made a turntable, and your valve power amp looks to have a high build quality. Well done!

What are your tastes in music; what do you put through your system(s)?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Morris.

Thanks Shane/Barry.

Tastes in music: hard to narrow down to be honest. From Chicago Jazz of the twenties through to Vampire Weekend with classical; opera; blues; rock; pop; and a bunch of other stuff in-between.

I'm Russell.

That tube amp is beautiful! Well done! If it sounds half as good as it looks, then it’s really something!

I’ve pondered building myself a tubed amp, but so far I haven’t made the plunge, your amp is inspirational!

Russell

I'm Morris.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    That tube amp is beautiful! Well done! If it sounds half as good as it looks, then it’s really something!

I’ve pondered building myself a tubed amp, but so far I haven’t made the plunge, your amp is inspirational!

Russell
    Russell,

Thank you.

I thoroughly recommend giving it a go. It took me a very long time as I kept losing confidence in making it safe. In the end I took what I hoped was a near as dammit finished amp to a chap who repairs them and he worked his magic to ensure it was safe and worked a treat.

Very satisfying to know that me, a couple of mates and someone who knows what they are doing built an amp together

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
    Russell,

Thank you.

I thoroughly recommend giving it a go. It took me a very long time as I kept losing confidence in making it safe. In the end I took what I hoped was a near as dammit finished amp to a chap who repairs them and he worked his magic to ensure it was safe and worked a treat.

Very satisfying to know that me, a couple of mates and someone who knows what they are doing built an amp together
    I studied a little electronics in college, some 25 years ago, so hopefully I could manage! And I’m sure there is literally tons of help here on this forum, you can’t swing a cat without hitting an expert! I don’t think I could go wrong?

Russell

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Welcome aboard Morris
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado