+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (Silent) apology

I'm Steve.

Default (Silent) apology

It would appear I may owe some of you guys a silent apology!

I have read so many times how great the Ortofon 2M Black was and having tried one a year or two ago I didn’t really get on with it, or rather I thought my AT33sa was much better. So when ever I read how great was it was silently I would disagree (never own to challenge another’s opinion, after all its their opinion).
    Anyway I had an itch to try again and I must say WOW, I have obviously nailed the set up this time and I can see (hear) exactly why so many rate this cartridge.
    Spending lots of time going through my records again is always an enjoyable time.

I plan to live with for a month or so and then revert back to my AT33sa and evaluate the two then. Here’s to a great weekend.
    Regards Steve

Funkfirm Little Super Deck with F5 arm
    Audio Technica AT33sa
    Vertere Phono 1
    Naim Supernait 2
    Niam Allae speaker

I'm mark.

I tend to agree, never heard an Ortofon that I'd spend my own money on, however, posts like this keep my eye out for ones at the right price to try at home

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    I tend to agree, never heard an Ortofon that I'd spend my own money on, however, posts like this keep my eye out for ones at the right price to try at home
    Really? I've been using Ortofon cartridges for the last 47 years, but they have all been moving-coil designs.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    Well I also tried an Ortofon Quintet Black and really didn’t think that was better than my AT33sa (or too smooth for my tastes) either so that went as well. Glad I still had the itch though
    Regards Steve

Audio Technica AT33sa
    Vertere Phono 1
    Naim Supernait 2
    Niam Allae speaker

I'm mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Really? I've been using Ortofon cartridges for the last 47 years, but they have all been moving-coil designs.
    Technically all have sounded 'nice', the 2M Black vs AT33e couldn't track the end of an album, (we had a pair of 401's with Audiomods V on them, set up with Fiekart) and the Cadenza's all needed a shot in the arm.

Just built an SP10 with Rohmann, great midrange but probably better suited to a Garrard to add some fruit to the bass. All IMO, your ears may be different

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by carruthersesq View Post
    Well I also tried an Ortofon Quintet Black and really didn’t think that was better than my AT33sa (or too smooth for my tastes) either so that went as well. Glad I still had the itch though
    Agree totally boaring cartridge, my AT 33ev was much better.
    I have to say I do like the Ortofon Kontrapunkt B which I also own
    Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Geoff.

The 2M Black is known to be very set-up sensitive. I'm glad that you have found the sweet-spot.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Bob.

Interesting. The Nag MP 500 I know and found it almost a great cartridge but ultimately couldn't live with it's "full on" presentation.

The AT33 PTG II I found to be much smoother and easy to live with.

Where does the 2M Black sit in comparison?
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Interesting. The Nag MP 500 I know and found it almost a great cartridge but ultimately couldn't live with it's "full on" presentation.

The AT33 PTG II I found to be much smoother and easy to live with.

Where does the 2M Black sit in comparison?
    I think the 2M black is similar in presentation and has a huge amount of detail. One thing I notice is probably a slight increase in surface noise.
    Regards Steve

Audio Technica AT33sa
    Vertere Phono 1
    Naim Supernait 2
    Niam Allae speaker

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by carruthersesq View Post
    I think the 2M black is similar in presentation and has a huge amount of detail. One thing I notice is probably a slight increase in surface noise.
    That is exactly what I didn't like about the 2m Black the increase in surface noise, I prefer an eliptical stylus it cuts down on surface I find.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

+ Reply to Thread