+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6l ultrasonic cleaner

I'm Nick.

Default 6l ultrasonic cleaner

Hi all
    Does any know the right size
    tapered hose fitting for the drain valve on this cleaner.
    Thanks
    Technics sp10 mkii, PMAT1010 MK6,Ortofon 530mkii
    JVC AX-Z1010
    Monitor Audio GS10
    Sony CDP 761E
    WDMycloud, Raspberry Pi 3 Pecan Pi Dac

I'm Nick.

HaHa, sussed it guys just having a bit of a senior moment

I'm Alan.

I've had a few of those recently
    Glad you've got it sorted.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I've had a few of those recently
    Glad you've got it sorted.
    Yup they creep on ya.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickfna View Post
    Hi all
    Does any know the right size
    tapered hose fitting for the drain valve on this cleaner.
    Thanks
    I’m thinking of building one of these in the future. Any thoughts, feelings, advice please? Do they clean records better than a standard record vacuum cleaner?

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by glenann View Post
    I’m thinking of building one of these in the future. Any thoughts, feelings, advice please? Do they clean records better than a standard record vacuum cleaner?
    Before I bought my RCM, I did a lot of reading on the subject. At the time, ultrasonic cleaners were ultra expensive. But of the many reviews I’ve read, it seems the biggest issue with ultrasonic cleaners is that they do not dry the records, and they must rest in a rack until drip dried.

I thought to myself, a lot of people who do buy the ultra expensive ultrasonic, probably already own a regular vacuum unit. So why not just wash them ultrasonic and the dry them with the vacuum?

Of course now that there are more affordable alternatives, it’s more likely that new ultrasonic owners will not have owned a vacuum unit. And just like this unit you’re looking at, the vacuum unit can actually cost more!

But it does seem to be the consensus that the ultrasonic units do a superior job. If you don’t mind the wait for records to dry.

And I also imagine it depends on just how dirty an album is? An album that’s a bit dusty, the vacuum can do a proper job. But if you’ve got records that are extremely soiled, the needle has been packing that dust and nicotine down in the grooves for decades, it only makes sense that the ultrasonic can do a better job of knocking that crud loose. I’ve cleaned old albums that took several cleanings to get most of the crud out, but I’ve not heard that any album got better from subsequent cleanings in an ultrasonic machine? As I said, this was all gathered from a lot of reading, I’ve never used an ultrasonic machine myself. However I’m very pleased with the results from my Pro-Ject vacuum machine. If the ultrasonic is better, then it must be great!

Russell

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by glenann View Post
    I have both the ultrasonic set up and a Pro-Ject vacuum machine so i don't have the drying issues, but what i will say is that the ultrasonic cleans the records
    miles better than the vacuum does.

Also a good idea is to put together a filter system to clean the solution as you will be topping up a lot.

with this setup i can clean 20 records in about an hour which is plenty cos after an that ive more than had enough of the noise.

Total cost for ultrasonic tank,drive module,filtering system and extra axle type thing less than £250
    Technics sp10 mkii, PMAT1010 MK6,Ortofon 530mkii
    JVC AX-Z1010
    Monitor Audio GS10
    Sony CDP 761E
    WDMycloud, Raspberry Pi 3 Pecan Pi Dac

I'm Glen.

Thanks for the replies, that's good to know. I have access to pure water (as I'm a window cleaner) so have 1000ltr's all the time. Appreciate the feedback..

I'm Richard.

I had a Moth MKII RCM for a few years and apart from the horrendous amount of noise it made, I can't say I ever really got satisfactory results out of it and generally ended up with noisier records than I started out with. Got to a point where I was cleaning certain records 3-4 times and they still never came out perfect. I never worked out whether it was my technique, the liquid I was using (I tried a few well regarded commercially available liquids) or the Moth just didn't work very well, but I took a house move as an opportunity to sell it on.
    It wasn't until a few years later that I decided to give an ultrasonic cleaner a try, so I bought one of the kits from Ebay for about £300 and haven't looked back. Yes, the noise the cleaner makes is quite unpleasant, so I do it in the garage which means that I'm limited to cleaning on mild/warm days so that records aren't sat around for hours drying, but the results are fantastic. I've even managed to recover the albums I thought ruined by the Moth RCM. I'm currently about 10% of the way through cleaning the entire collection but it WILL all get cleaned because the difference, even with new records, is abundantly clear.
    I tend not to bother with filtering the liquid, just do a batch and replace. I get Pure Water from the local Spotless Water dispenser which is pennies (and I still have a key fob with most of the £20 free credit I got when I signed up, so I've not actually paid for any water yet), so then it's a mixture of 5 litres of that with around 0.5l of BioEthanol and a capful of photoflow. That mixture does a great job. Haven't felt the need to try anything else.
    Rich

I'm Glen.

The combination of liquid was my next question. Thanks Rich, most informative!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast