+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro-ject speedbox SE II obvious design flaw

I'm Mike.

Default Pro-ject speedbox SE II obvious design flaw

Spot the obvious design flaw in the Speedbox SE, yes the plug cable doesn't clear the bottom of the box, resulting in a wobbly speedbox. Solution is second pic!

IMG_20190607_103908444_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr

IMG_20190607_104149138_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Spot the obvious design flaw in the Speedbox SE, yes the plug cable doesn't clear the bottom of the box, resulting in a wobbly speedbox. Solution is second pic!

IMG_20190607_103908444_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr

IMG_20190607_104149138_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr
    I take it that the Speed box works ok with the Interspace Mike?
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    I take it that the Speed box works ok with the Interspace Mike?
    Yah. It spins the platter!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

I think it improves the sound, not sure yet!

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I think it improves the sound, not sure yet!
    Might be something that I will look at if I decide to keep my Interspace, would be interested in your findings.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Mike.

Will report back! The led display means I need one less lamp in my room.

I'm John.

I used to use a speedbox se with my Hyperspace. I found little, if any, improvement in the sound, but liked the convenient speed change and the standby switch.

When it broke down and was declared beyond repair, I decided, after hearing strong recommendations from folks whose opinions I respect, to build the "Meldano" PSU (Design and PCB by a poster named Daniel on DiYAudio - not sure if still available)

This is an amazing pice of kit that produces a really significant improvement in sound quality. It requires changing the motor for a 24V one (unless you want to build a transformer box) but very worthwhile. Fully programmable so you can set frequencies and phase shifts for perfect speeds and minimum motor noise.

I'm Julian.

I have the Speedbox hooked up to my Junior Spacedeck & IMHO it definitely improves on the sound for that model. Here in France it stabilizes the speed very accurately & there is an improvement in clarity which is noticeable.

Possibly it has less effect on the more senior models in the range, but it is interesting that the top Notts Analogue tables are supplied with a speed controller, so Tom must have thought it makes a difference when designing them.
    Julian.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea24 View Post
    I have the Speedbox hooked up to my Junior Spacedeck & IMHO it definitely improves on the sound for that model. Here in France it stabilizes the speed very accurately & there is an improvement in clarity which is noticeable.

Possibly it has less effect on the more senior models in the range, but it is interesting that the top Notts Analogue tables are supplied with a speed controller, so Tom must have thought it makes a difference when designing them.
    Yes, they definitely can make a difference. My experience was that the speedbox didn't (to any meaningful extent - I don't believe in straining myself to hear small differences), the Meldano absolutely does, big style, and the Wave Mechanic might well do (never used one). I think Tom would have approved of the Meldano. It makes it possible to tune the motor for the lowest possible noise, very much in line with my understanding of his design philosophy.

I'm Mike.

Vinyl set up is beginning to sound awesome, not entirely sure its the speedbox, must be though, i'm hearing things I've never and I mean never heard before. Still not happy with the lean presentation of the passive pre, but i feel my system is very close to being 'there'. Big thanks to all the friendly advice on this forum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast