+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Passive pre-amp

Bigman80 Guest

[QUOTE=Light Dependant Resistor;1097858]I think you are referring to Audio Science Review - I am nearly ready to send Amir a cased unit to review.
    I too thought stepped attenuators were good, which was in 1992 hearing them with Vishay bulk foil resistors
    Just as Rob expresses here in the last paragraph https://robmid42.wixsite.com/diyaudi...ich-ldr-preamp
    stepped attenuators are not very high on the list, when compared to LDR's

Subjective result, which I am not interested in. I am talking facts and figure to support your continued claims

Both of your presumptions, expressed as fear, are wrong.... which time will prove. There should be a review
    at Pink Fish forum in about 3 weeks, sorting through what sounds best.
    Will this be subjective or fact based?

Fear? Of what?

I have nothing to fear from the results of any test as I have no dog in the race. I am merely saying that your continued claims are so far unsubstantiated by any demonstrable fact or figures, that i have been able to find.

If you wish to continue with those claims then you must provide evidence to support your claims, rather than the subjective testimony of fanboys. What is "better" will always differ between different sets of ears. What is measurably better, will not differ.

I sincerely hope that you unit performs the way you say btw. It would only be a good thing for the Hifi community.
    Last edited by Bigman80; 13-06-2019 at 06:31.

I'm Paul.

Just to chip in here but I found a khozmo (shunt type) not to my liking as a passive preamp.

Now whether that was because I chose the wrong type of khozmo or something wasn't quite right with the specific one I had I don't know but I suspect its not quite the show stopper in passive form

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    Just to chip in here but I found a khozmo (shunt type) not to my liking as a passive preamp.

Now whether that was because I chose the wrong type of khozmo or something wasn't quite right with the specific one I had I don't know but I suspect its not quite the show stopper in passive form

Yes. You are not the first to say those words.

The Khozmo Preamp doesn't appear to have the same level of performance as it does when you attach it to a Unity gain buffer of some type. Why this is, I don't know but there are claims that different resistors are used in the Passive units to those used in the solitary SA you can buy alone. Whether that's true, I don't know. Would be good to find out. I 'll ask.

I'm Paul.

Mine was hand made Ollie so was the same khozmo a diy'er would use in their active preamp build.

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm Steve.

Just to chip in and confirm that the Khozmo passive has a different attenuator than the one people buy and fit to the dcb1 and other preamps.

S
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

Mine was hand made Ollie so was the same khozmo a diy'er would use in their active preamp build.

Oh, that's very interesting. So what are you currently using. Don't say LDR!

I'm Paul.

One of those chines relay passive remote pres and very nice it is too

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

Bigman80 Guest

One of those chines relay passive remote pres and very nice it is too

Ah, yes. Had one here for a bit. Good unit for the money.

I'm Edward.

I have a LDR passive preamp which sounds good to me. Seems to let the music with all its detail flow through unhindered regardless of degree of attenuation.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I have a LDR passive preamp which sounds good to me. Seems to let the music with all its detail flow through unhindered regardless of degree of attenuation.
    I'm not saying they don't sound good. The one I had here, built by Alan [Firebottle] was good, I enjoyed it and said so.

I am simply disputing the claim they are free of distortion when multiple sources claim otherwise with evidence provided. The values of resistance between two LDR's are rarely, if ever identical and channel balance issues are well known when using LDR's.

If the Audio Science Forum come back with the result that it is free of distortion, I will accept that. They are not biased in any way bu the fact remains that LDR's are flawed, as are almost anything in HiFi.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast