+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Passive pre-amp

I'm geoffrey.

Default Passive pre-amp

Looking to go the Passive Pre Amp route sometime in the future and the one that's caught my eye is the "Icon Audio" Passive. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm alan.

Hi Geoffrey

How much are you willing to spend?

Bigman80 Guest

Hi Geoff,

Well, to talk plainly, the unit has a Blue Alps potentiometer which has repeatedly been beaten by every Stepped attenuator I have tried.

TKD do a very good value potentiometer which I expect is better thank the alps.

Depends what you want but I'd be wary of spending a lot on a passive with an alps blue in it.

I'm alan.

IMHO there's nowt better than this.......

via Imgflip Meme Generator

I'm geoffrey.

Around the £400, but less would be better.

I'm Richard.

I have one in a second system, and agree it seems very good indeed. Completely transparent and without any brightness/leanness that you sometimes hear people complaining about with passives. Might just be a synergistic match of course.

I believe it uses a different implementation to most passives but I don't know what the details are.

Quote Originally Posted by thingfish View Post
    IMHO there's nowt better than this.......

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RichardA View Post
    I have one in a second system, and agree it seems very good indeed. Completely transparent and without any brightness/leanness that you sometimes hear people complaining about with passives. Might just be a synergistic match of course.

I believe it uses a different implementation to most passives but I don't know what the details are.
    Stepped attenuator inside. Different construction as you say. IIRC it has coarse and fine adjustment to volume. Less resistors, which is always a good thing.

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Well, to talk plainly, the unit has a Blue Alps potentiometer which has repeatedly been beaten by every Stepped attenuator I have tried.

TKD do a very good value potentiometer which I expect is better thank the alps.
    TKD 2CP-601 conductive plastic pot is what I use in my DIY headphone amplifier. It's a good pot. I expect it to better than the Alps because it's 3 times more expensive, but I haven't compared.

I'm alan.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardA View Post

Go on then Richard................Whats in your 1st system.???
    Last edited by Marco; 03-07-2019 at 09:40. Reason: "Yawn" remark removed, as it sounds impolite.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    TKD 2CP-601 conductive plastic pot is what I use in my DIY headphone amplifier. It's a good pot. I expect it to better than the Alps because it's 3 times more expensive, but I haven't compared.
    That's the one. Conductive plastic fared better here. Yes it may be 3 times the price but it has to be a better investment.

I do have a £3 conductive plastic pot somewhere and I felt that was better than an alps blue too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast