+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much....??? (Don't make me laugh)

I'm alan.

Default How Much....??? (Don't make me laugh)

Thought I would start this thread .... It's for you to let us know if you find things fairly priced or otherwise......Ta.

Example I can buy a similar DAC from China for £50 but a respectable UK company flogs same at £5000.....

Etc etc etc........I don't know, is it a snob thing, a brand name thing,
    Or just the way it is....(Hooty and the Blowfish).?

Don't jump.......You Bruce Hornsby fans.

Things can be receptive.

Or is that deceptive.

I'm Martin.

Free market dictates that anyone can ask whatever ridiculous price they want for whatever tat they are pushing. Doesn't mean I have to pay it so I don't. Fair or unfair doesn't really enter into it.

DACs do amaze me though. You can pay from five pound up to fifty thousand pounds all for a simple device that should perform its duty faultlessly at pretty much any price point. Still, keeps the economy going I suppose.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Free market dictates that anyone can ask whatever ridiculous price they want for whatever tat they are pushing. Doesn't mean I have to pay it so I don't. Fair or unfair doesn't really enter into it.

DACs do amaze me though. You can pay from five pound up to fifty thousand pounds all for a simple device that should perform its duty faultlessly at pretty much any price point. Still, keeps the economy going I suppose.
    Agreed but freedom of expression means we can also have whatever view we want on those prices and comment on them as long as it's not libel. Or rude about someone with a trade account on here!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm alan.

Of course.. Laurence...God forbid we send a wee shiver of remorse up a reputable dealers back.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Audio interconnects and mains cables come to mind.
    Barry

I'm alan.

Well Mark Grants a Monkey....£50 +

Or

Nordost vallhala, the entire Zoo....£5000+ to you sir.

I'm Martin.

You can pay crazy money for any item of hi-fi kit or accessory, not just cables. Check out these, £750 for three! https://www.futureshop.co.uk/entreq-...nt=Accessories

Cable lifters are my favorite but they all tend to be price on request, presumably to stop people like me linking to it in ridicule. Imagine if everything was reasonably priced, how boring would that be?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm alan.

Fuses.....gotta be prepared to splash out on them though.

Because it's a safety thing......I would rather spend £65 on a top notch audio 13A fuse than tuppence for a 13A out of poundstrecher.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by thingfish View Post
    Fuses.....gotta be prepared to splash out on them though.

Because it's a safety thing......I would rather spend £65 on a top notch audio 13A fuse than tuppence for a 13A out of poundstrecher.
    Beware of cheap fuses (as you might find in pound shops). They are Chinese copies of reputable brands such as Bussmann: virtually identical in appearance so it is hard to spot the counterfeits - but they weigh less than genuine items, are often slightly shorter and the finish of the end caps is also different. Despite being marked as conforming to BS1362, these counterfeits can explode under fault conditions.
    Barry

I'm alan.

Thanks for that Barry, I will try to be vigilant.

I guess anything can be faked in this day and age.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast