+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: denon amplifiers

I'm paul.

Default denon amplifiers

hi all
    i recently brought a denon pma-350se integrated amplifier (unfortunately it doesn't have the optional phonecard and cover...anyone got these lying around to sell me?)
    anyway ive been really impressed with it within the context of my budget system that i now have,it really seems to gel well with the lovely Sony speakers i have.......£190 for this pairing and well impressed!!
    anyway i have a couple of questions for any denon buffs out there with experience....
    firstly i really need to get hold of the optional plug in phono board and shield for this amplifier so i can bring my amp rack box count down and still play my records,does anyone know if the less powerful 250se version uses the same quality and spec optional phono board,i ask as there seem to be more of the 250se out there and i might get lucky there.
    the other question is what other denon amplifiers old or new offer this sort of sound quality thats on par or maybe offers a bit more as the 350se im using(any real sleepers out there left?)??
    feel free to email me that answer to the last question if you wish as i know once a list/recommendations comes up on the net/forum then a originally cheap to buy amp can suddenly become mega expensive sort after item and develop cult status

regards
    smithie

I'm Martin.

The PMA250UKSE is the one to go for or failing that any of the original models with the white graphics. Much better than the mark 2 onwards. I can say this on the open forum as no-one ever listens to me.

Not all have the phonostage (mine did) and I have no idea if it is the same phono stage in the 350 but if you asked me to bet I'd say it is.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm paul.

lolol,im listening to you martin
    thanks for your advice and heads up,is this the one your on about...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DENON-PMA...gAAOSwGhZc7pJy ?

if so then i thought that might of been a step down over what i have due to the extra controls built in over the one i have...
    http://xelectrical.com/item/Denon-PMA-350SE-757

of course mine is more power so maybe its losing out something on the lowered powered version,plus mines remote and may add something to the sound to,just not sure ill get away with the wattage on a friday night with the lower powered amp and my speakers
    of course im assuming thats the amplifier your on about martin,there seems to be so many with nearly the same title through the various years

I'm Martin.

Nope not them, they are the later ones. They are okay but not special. I'll see if I can find a pic of the ones I'm taking about in a bit when I get home. They look cheaper and cruder but they sound a lot better than the later ones.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

These are the ones to look for, 250 or 350. Note the different graphics from the later models:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-PMA...wAAOSwKWhc8ugv
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

That ones no good to you though as no built in phono - so I've bought it - see if it is as good as I remember.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm alan.

Denon like Phillips offer no excitement.......Fine players, but imho err too much on the bland.

They do nowt wrong......... But .

Im off for a cup of Coco and repeat of Mash.

I'm Martin.

Mark 2 on I agree. But these older ones are a cut above. Although I last had one in 1993 so it's a long time ago.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm alan.

First cds I remember buying was A-Ha (can't remember title) & Simple Minds (Glittering Prize)

I still have em and both sound wonderful.........not one sign or cd rot.!!!

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That ones no good to you though as no built in phono - so I've bought it - see if it is as good as I remember.
    please post your thoughts and views when you get it martin as i would love to know your views and thanks also for showing me the right model.
    ive had alot of hifi gear through my hands over the 40 years ive been playing and listening with this stuff but must confess i never went into the Japanese amp stuff to much other then sony who i use to work for and got silly discount on there graded stuff.
    whatever the views on the denon i have, to these ears and in my system with my speakers im quite impressed and hence my curiosity to try a better version of this make amp from whatever age.
    ive also got a yamaha a320 and a marantz pm40se coming....did i mention im curious
    so to one and all feel free to recommend some cheap excellent sounding jap integrated that will best what i have, from modern day to days gone by.
    im using these speakers and really am enjoying them and are idea for my crap small room.would love to get the bigger double bass driver versions
    https://manualzz.com/doc/2555572/son...akers-ss-x70ed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast